Tank Journal Archive

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Light diminishes in an inverse square - ie. with each additional foot, you've got exponentially less light than you did initially (ie. at 3', you've got roughly 1/9th as much light as you do at 1' whereas at 2' you've got 1/4th, and so to provide adequately for bottom corals in a 3' tall water column you need >2x more initial light). To sufficiently light that, you're going to face a lot of issues. All of which besides, anything over about 700mm tall is a pain in the *** to clean - as has been mentioned. In having said that, for a minimalist FOWLR or softy reef it could be quite an interesting base.

BooY

Aug 10, 2011
Birkdale, Brisbane
Plan is looking good :)
What type of plc do you plan to use for contorlling the tank?

with regard to the use of industrial equipment on the tank, IMO (also work in the industrial sector) you may wanna skip looking at the industrial pumps, for the size pumps you will be wanting to use on u're tank you'll be able to get more effiencient DC motors than you will be able to get single and 3 phase ac pumps. Its not until u start getting to the larger pumps much larger than u'll ever need that it becomes a better option to get the 3phase ac motor/pumps that most industrial sites tend to use

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Plan is looking good :)
What type of plc do you plan to use for contorlling the tank?

with regard to the use of industrial equipment on the tank, IMO (also work in the industrial sector) you may wanna skip looking at the industrial pumps, for the size pumps you will be wanting to use on u're tank you'll be able to get more effiencient DC motors than you will be able to get single and 3 phase ac pumps. Its not until u start getting to the larger pumps much larger than u'll ever need that it becomes a better option to get the 3phase ac motor/pumps that most industrial sites tend to use
No idea on plc yet, but I know for sure it will be plc controlled. DC motors is what I plan to use, the thing is I can get them cheaper going through the company and paying them than I can with an lfs. True, the pump is not "made" for an aquarium, but it will do the job.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Having just set up a 2'6" deep tank would thoroughly recommend that as a maximum.
  • I read what everyone said about maintaining things at that depth and though no problem...reality is, way harder!
  • I didn't research lighting enough and have since learned the hard way that depth makes things a lot more difficult to light.
  • My dream tank would be 2' plus maybe a bit depending on sand depth and 6' to 8' long and at least 3' wide, probably a touch more, and put 3 footer lights across the tank
Only IMO

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Sounds pretty sweet. I will see as the time goes by how I am going to approach this. It is still years away, and I am just a noob. I will experiment with the 4ft tank to see what works and what does not.

I have a 2.6 foot cube and that is on a 1 meter stand i have to use a ladder and squeeze my head and shoulders between the halide and the water with my whole arm in the drink to reach the back. Now im not complaining about it im just sharing my experiance with 2.6 foot and how the distance from the top front to the bottom at the back would be about the same... Big stretch lol. It will be great tank i will hopefully be doing a tank of this calibre in my new house fingers crossed.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I have a 2.6 foot cube and that is on a 1 meter stand i have to use a ladder and squeeze my head and shoulders between the halide and the water with my whole arm in the drink to reach the back. Now im not complaining about it im just sharing my experiance with 2.6 foot and how the distance from the top front to the bottom at the back would be about the same... Big stretch lol. It will be great tank i will hopefully be doing a tank of this calibre in my new house fingers crossed.
Welcome gazman would love to see this setup maybe start up a tank journal. ?

V

'vspec'

Ive got the popcorn being delivered to you via courier on this one dynamic, that way when your under way I dont have to bring any. ;)

Gaz, your not wrong!
Its rich when your throwing on bodyboarding rash shirts cause your armpits are displaying glass rash ..,lol

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
If your gonna run this via a PLC Pete, make sure you can override everything manually. Our PLC's at our W/T plants have manual overrides for everything, as once found out a blackout can really mess up your settings! A PLC run system actually sounds like a good idea, maybe your pioneering the future of reefing there Pete!?

kevin

Nov 24, 2011
melbourne
hey all i do servicing on many marine aquariums around melbourne and 3ft is a nightmare, im 5 ft 9 and cant reach the bottom back at any point.