Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Dying/sick Cespitularia?
Over the past 2-3 weeks the cespitularias polpys haven't been open open at all.

Recently I noticed a faint brownish tinge up onside of it... (On the side that got sucked up the siphon about 5 weeks ago... It's also been a little bit limp over the past few days (@ReeferRob I haven't tried the sildenafil as of yet hahah)

I also noticed a little bit of a hole where it had be hitting a rock... And I went to move the rock and it turns out it has grown on to the rock...

So on one hand I have some discolouration and closed polpys and on the other hand I have growth on to neighbouring rocks... Is the coral being a drama queen or is something going on?

Over the past few weeks salt has come up a bit high and kH has been low, around 8. I am suffering with a bit of a nitrate problem at the moment... (20 ppm)

Whats going on?

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Soft corals have a reputation for being hardy, but the truth is there are some in the hard to keep category, and I would place Cespitularia squarely in it.

The sudden drop in alkalinity could be what has caused it, or if your alk is still too low. Sometimes you can't reverse the damage once that has happened. If the salinity got high that could also be it. Lowering it to 1.023 - 1.025 should correct the problem within the hour if that is what it has an issue with. You'll see it expand in response.

It could also be that it is not getting enough of a trace element it needs, such as iodine. In such a small tank with no SPS, I would be doing a large water change to replenish any trace elements that may be low. Match the temp and salinity.

I can also bet that there is a build up detritus somewhere that is contributing to your nitrate problem that needs to be exported from the tank via siphoning or giving the rocks a rinse in a bucket of saltwater.

I see a lot of newbies reach this point where their nitrates are climbing and instead of just doing a basic clean, they explore all these other options like adding extra equipment, increasing water changes etc. When often the tank just needs a clean :)

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Soft corals have a reputation for being hardy, but the truth is there are some in the hard to keep category, and I would place Cespitularia squarely in it.

The sudden drop in alkalinity could be what has caused it, or if your alk is still too low. Sometimes you can't reverse the damage once that has happened. If the salinity got high that could also be it. Lowering it to 1.023 - 1.025 should correct the problem within the hour if that is what it has an issue with. You'll see it expand in response.

It could also be that it is not getting enough of a trace element it needs, such as iodine. In such a small tank with no SPS, I would be doing a large water change to replenish any trace elements that may be low. Match the temp and salinity.

I can also bet that there is a build up detritus somewhere that is contributing to your nitrate problem that needs to be exported from the tank via siphoning or giving the rocks a rinse in a bucket of saltwater.

I see a lot of newbies reach this point where their nitrates are climbing and instead of just doing a basic clean, they explore all these other options like adding extra equipment, increasing water changes etc. When often the tank just needs a clean :)

Thanks for the great response.
I will give the filter a bit of a clean (particularly the dense sponge) on Monday!

I'll keep an eye on it for the week and if it doesn't perk back up... Then something's gotta give.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
As the lovely Agent M said, low alkalinity WILL cause issues with the Xenia complex of soft corals. I don't know how many times I've had them melt. They get really pissed off right after I change the GFO so I've taken to adding my bicarb right before I change it and I add 5 extra mils to counteract the sudden drop. High nitrates make my blues turn brown, but as soon as the nitrates dropped, they turn back blue.

I doubt Sildenafil will help your corals, lol.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No one ever said that maintaining a reef aquarium was easy, and if they did they were lying :rolleyes

The nitrogen cycle converts ammonia to nitrates but we then need to find someway to export the nitrates. Using bio-pellets or other forms of carbon dosing is one way. The other is via water changes - in a small tank such as yours I would choose this option. But, if your nitrate levels are still increasing then you are not doing large enough water changes, or often enough - the more fish you add then the more nitrates will be produced and larger water changes will be required.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Agreed with all above except we have now found out Alk is not the issue -lol. In that size tank I would up the % of water changed and def give it a good clean I am still wondering if you have experienced a slight mini cycle with ammonia & nitrites spiking after leaning your filter off fur a whole day ? Would explain unhappy corals & higher nitrates than usual ?

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
With a name like Cess-pit(ulania), it was bound to go brown......

Seriously though, hope it pulls through for you :)

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Should I clean the sponges right now or take them out now?

I am in the mood for a bit of maintenance...

I am just nervous if I take them out... They might be the only source of healthy bacteria. So would a wash be more appropriate?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Should I clean the sponges right now or take them out now?

I am in the mood for a bit of maintenance...

I am just nervous if I take them out... They might be the only source of healthy bacteria. So would a wash be more appropriate?
I personally wouldn't take them out, in that type of filter, your right it would be a huge source of your good bacteria. . I would just be absolutely anal about rinsing them in SW every water change, same as people running canister filters have to do.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I personally wouldn't take them out, in that type of filter, your right it would be a huge source of your good bacteria. . I would just be absolutely anal about rinsing them in SW every water change, same as people running canister filters have to do.
So just give a bit of rinse in SW?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I squeeze mine out and swish them around in the bucket well when I do weekly water changes on the 130D. The pistol shrimp stirs up so much shit from his digging that I should probably do it more, but this is working so I'm not changing the way I care for the tank. The other systems have bags for mechanical filtration and get changed weekly.

I didn't realize he had taken out the ceramic noodles, that could cause an issue with the Cespitularia.