Help / Suggestions

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Dunno if this is doable or not but...
After being oddly entertained playing Insaniquarium & after reading a thread elsewhere that said "if u could create ur own fish, what would it look like?", I began to think "wouldn't it be cool if Reefuge members could have a virtual aquarium in which they can create their own fish "avatar"?. Then I further thought that members could earn/unlock upgrades for their fish along with or instead of trophies for posts. Like: 200 posts let's u choose from 3 colors for ur fish but 400 posts unlocks 7 colors to choose from. U could customize scale, fin & scale shapes & unlock better options according to ur activity on the forum. It'd b cool if they could interact like in a chat room or online game. Perhaps instead of just a list of names showing who is logged in on the forum, u could see a small aquarium as well with each fish avatar appearing when each "owner" logs in. Perhaps further features would involve "breeding" ur fish & other features like that facebook farm game. I have no idea of the technical difficulties or logistics - I failed computer coding in Yr 12 & while I can operate most devices, I wouldn't have a clue how to BUILD them *sigh* anyway, it was just a passing thought.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I still AM at work :( :(
My job isnt rocket science & as my brain could serve as the model for a perpetual motion machine, I think about ALOT of things. My friend once told me I need to have more children becoz I think too much *sigh*
When I 1st got my iPhone, the predictive text function annoyed me but not before I'd written a short horror story about a woman who receives "predictive texts" - stop light ahead; coworker is away; shop is out of milk.....don't open the door.....
Being of an esoteric bent, rather than a techno one, "predictive" had different connotations for me...
Did I mention I'm a writer?
That's Art-Speak for "weirdo"
LOL!!
As for avatar fish sex....the mind boggles...

V

'vspec'

Yup, and here I thought I was the weird one.:confused:

haha, virtual morphology, not a bad idea, I just have to put down the remote that I was using to scratch my ass so I have a free hand to play this game.
Although ugly people breed more ugly people, so it had better not be the same in here or watch out people, I have no truck in hitting the thereefuge abortion button if you produce something hideous..lol

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Virtual morphology - there u go, it even has a name. Learn something new everyday :)
Like I said, I have no idea about the logistics, controls, ethics or feasibility of it all - I just had the mental image of it & thought "heeyyyyyyy!!!l"

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
After being oddly entertained playing Insaniquarium & after reading a thread elsewhere that said "if u could create ur own fish, what would it look like?", I began to think "wouldn't it be cool if Reefuge members could have a virtual aquarium in which they can create their own fish "avatar"?. Then I further thought that members could earn/unlock upgrades for their fish along with or instead of trophies for posts. Like: 200 posts let's u choose from 3 colors for ur fish but 400 posts unlocks 7 colors to choose from. U could customize scale, fin & scale shapes & unlock better options according to ur activity on the forum. It'd b cool if they could interact like in a chat room or online game. Perhaps instead of just a list of names showing who is logged in on the forum, u could see a small aquarium as well with each fish avatar appearing when each "owner" logs in. Perhaps further features would involve "breeding" ur fish & other features like that facebook farm game. I have no idea of the technical difficulties or logistics - I failed computer coding in Yr 12 & while I can operate most devices, I wouldn't have a clue how to BUILD them *sigh* anyway, it was just a passing thought.
Hi MichelleShocked,

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I can see how it would be really cool to have something like this one the site, but the truth is that there is a lot of work to be done on this site that will help members and businesses. The time required to write something like this would be extremely long, and aside from it being fun, there is really nothing more to it.

Right now the main focus is usability and new ideas to try and change the way the hobby is "working" in Australia. However, I will look into a third party option for those of you who would like to see something like this appear on the website.

As for the points earned in posts, you will be able to use those points to trade and buy in the shops at a later date.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it is good to see people thinking outside the box.

Thanks.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
You would think, wouldn't you? :-) but no. I just think alot. Would you believe drugs are also a non-event in my life? I'm a 100% natural lunatic... ;-)

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
How'd u guess? You can't imagine how many times some guy has thought I'm flirting with him & I'v had to explain it's just a side effect from my medication ;-) *grins*

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
The Reefuge
Thank you for replying - as I said, I have no idea of the logistics of such a feature and had an educated guess that the time consumption would be huge. I also figured it wouldn't have any real value in terms of business & such other than to keep members returning to visit and "care for" their fish & perhaps then interact on the forums. I knew you already had a system planned for the credits, I just thought 1 could unlock extra features in return for posts or activity - again a way to encourage members to interact & maybe interest lurkers enough to join. I like the credits for purchases plan, I just thought the unlock thing could work in tandem.
Anyway, its a thought - I have lots of them - and I thought I'd put it out there coz you never know.
As for thinking outside the box, I have spent my life climbing out of, stomping on & setting fire to various "boxes"; I'm at that happy point in life where you couldn't get me to crawl back IN for love or money & while I am well aware of my co-humans peering out of THEIR boxes, shaking their heads & generally clinging to their perception of "normal & secure", I couldnt care less :) it gets lonely outside the box at times but the atmosphere is better and the company is stellar ;-)
Cheers :)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge
Thank you for replying - as I said, I have no idea of the logistics of such a feature and had an educated guess that the time consumption would be huge. I also figured it wouldn't have any real value in terms of business & such other than to keep members returning to visit and "care for" their fish & perhaps then interact on the forums. I knew you already had a system planned for the credits, I just thought 1 could unlock extra features in return for posts or activity - again a way to encourage members to interact & maybe interest lurkers enough to join. I like the credits for purchases plan, I just thought the unlock thing could work in tandem.
Anyway, it's a thought - I have lots of them - and I thought I'd put it out there coz you never know.
As for thinking outside the box, I have spent my life climbing out of, stomping on & setting fire to various "boxes"; I'm at that happy point in life where you couldn't get me to crawl back IN for love or money & while I am well aware of my co-humans peering out of THEIR boxes, shaking their heads & generally clinging to their perception of "normal & secure", I couldnt care less :) it gets lonely outside the box at times but the atmosphere is better and the company is stellar ;-)
Cheers :)
You're welcome.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well perhaps instead of a "game", have an 'interactive tank' of sourts. each member can choose their own fish or coral, create a unique look to it, and then it appears in the tank down the bottom when their online, as you coursor over a persons coral/fish, their name pops up.
Probly would take longer to write than a game tho.
hope you understand what im saying here.
cheers

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi mscott,

I understand what you are saying about the idea. The problem is the hours involved are better spent on other sections of the site. The forums are only the tip of the iceberg as there is a lot more features and networking abilities coming. They are the main focus right now.

Thanks.

V

'vspec'

Hell, let me loose on it, I'll attempt the coding, who knows, maybe a new bra size is invented..haha