Reef Discussion

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Duncan Tree Losing Heads
Seem to be having troubles with my duncan. It lost a head about a month ago and I have just arrived home to discover another one on it's way out. Seems to be dying off at the base of the polyp and letting the whole head go...as well as having tissue loss.
I have checked all parameters and everything is in order.
There was a brown jelly coming out from its base so maybe brown jelly disease? or symbiotic algae Im not sure... sorry no pics whipped out the syphon and sucked that mess up.
Any ideas out there?
I have moved it to a different location to see if it stops? just strange it been in that spot for 4-5 months no problem, great extension.
Not to sure what else I can do.

Last edited:

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I lost one recently that I have had for years. It just started dying from being irritated by a tang rubbing up against it.
Once it started losing heads, it just didn't stop. Sadly the whole thing died even though I kept cutting away the dying bits to save the good parts.
I hope you have more luck than I did.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
What exactly are your parameters? That detail is definitely the first step.

Unfortunately I have found Duncans very sensitive to some water parameters, particularly swings in salinity or alkilinity. Like DaveH, I found that once they start going, they're pretty much on a one way trip.

Good luck.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I had brown jelly attack my duncan a fair while back. Thankfully they are very easy to remove infected heads. Just cut off any heads that look suspect and pop it back in, mine has grown back bigger and better than ever since then

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
I have just got home to see another2 heads on the way out.... Im certain its brown jelly disease.... I dont have fragging tools to cut off heads.... any tips would be great thanks.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
You could use a hacksaw but the generated heat would probably do more harm than good. I'm not saying it's impossible to save but I personally would get rid of it before it causes damage to the other organisms.

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
You could use a hacksaw but the generated heat would probably do more harm than good. I'm not saying it's impossible to save but I personally would get rid of it before it causes damage to the other organisms.
Thanks for the advise... I removed it but just couldn't bring myself to chucking it so snapped of the dying top half..... see how it goes any more signs and its gone.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Was going to say, snap or use a hammer and chisel. As hard as it is to do, it's ten times worse when you leave it and see how it goes and you lose the lot :/

Col81

Feb 6, 2016
Airlie beach
Was going to say, snap or use a hammer and chisel. As hard as it is to do, it's ten times worse when you leave it and see how it goes and you lose the lot :/
my thoughts too... it snapped alot cleaner and easier than i thought it would. I moved it to a slightly higher flow area, I feel like it might help? Or might this just stress it more, Im torn on the decision.