Reef Discussion

Duncan help
my lfs was selling a duncan coral cheaply because it doesn't fully open up so I got it and am going to try to get it looking better . Are there any tips in improving the health of corals or is it just a case of stable water parameters and time

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If it is opening up a bit, and it reacts to stimuli, you could try target feeding.

Can you provide a picture?

Whilst it is nice to try and save these damaged corals you are often setting yourself up for disappointment - often it is better to leave them at the shop (unless it was free).

A bit off topic, but it is interesting to see how popular the duncan corals are today, and how relatively expensive they are. This is a photo of one I had around 13 years ago - these were $10 corals then. I wonder how much one with this many heads would sell for today?
Duncan.jpg

i know its not to bad, haven't tried feeding yet what would you recomend trying, i have frozen brine, frozen mysis and freeze dried cyclop-eze.
Just want to know if it it will grow its polys bigger as the last one i had was awesome
ai1203.photobucket.com_albums_bb389_donski84_2011_01_23102116.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have found that they can take fairly large sized food - I used to feed mine small pieces of shrimp!! I would try you frozen mysis to start with

PS These emoticons are Luke's fault.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Donski- I make a paste from Mussels, shrimp, white fish, oysters, dry fish food, mackerel, liquid coral grow & freeze in ice cube trays. I just broadcast feed the tank with this as it dissolves by rubbing it between my fingers. You get different size bits floating around to suit the tank. Every now and then I will "hand" feed each head of the Duncan and a few other corals, just so I know they are getting food. As your close enough, your welcome to grab a cube and try it out if you like. Yours really doesn't look that bad tho, I've got one here that we picked up from a closed down tank that I'm not to sure about. Will try and get a pic, he is in the sump at the moment.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I have found that they can take fairly large sized food - I used to feed mine small pieces of shrimp!! I would try you frozen mysis to start with

PS These emoticons are Luke's fault.
They brighten up the place a bit mate

I think the duncans should be fine , A bit of food , A bit of time , That should be all thats needed
Hopefully anyway

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Big improvement Donski, well done.
I would clean that little bit of cyno off the dead polyp top left, just so it doesn't take over.;)