Reef Discussion

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Duncan coral closed for a few days?
Hi all,

My Duncan has closed for a few days already, sometimes it just extend 20%, but most of the time it is closed. After some research people say it act similar to leathers. It will open up eventually.

Am I right? or something wrong with my tank. The Duncan was closed before I added calcium and bicarbs anyway. Water test shown 2ppm nitrate and 0.01 Phosphate.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys.

Cheers

Hilary

I'm sure it's just a phase, are you feeding your corals properly? My leather sheds and hasn't opened for about 1 week now, but it started to pull some polyps out today.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
interesting on placement, do these guys prefer to be lower in the tank with less light?

I have mine that went through a bit of hectic travel, I figured this was why it wasnt to happy. it is getting its tentacles out but not completly opening, I did place it right at the top of the tank about 3-4 inches from the water surface with a med flow around it, under 2 T5 1 daylight 14k and one actinic. I would of thought this would be good for it, maybe a move is needed?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
low light is fine. if you feed its heads regulary it will grow nice and fast and will be nice and healthy ;)

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cheers matty :D

what I was asking moreso is location in the tank, being up high close to the lights, is this a prob?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
depends on what the lights are. ive never had any issues having them high up in the tank under 300W of t5, although i noticed in my system that they liked a little less light and less flow

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cool mate :D

I might give him a move down to mid tank, might help. it might still be a little p#$$ed with the extra time in transit though, bloody rural posties hey. the colour is pretty decent from what I am getting though :D

still happy with the purchase mate ;) the zoa are coming out well too ;)