Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
DSLR
I have had a little look and couldnt find anything on cameras. Im looking at purchasing a good DSLR and want to hear your feedback on the current models from beginner to intermediate. So far canon seem to impress me with their entry level 1000D and 550D. The HD video on the 550D is amazing! Is there a lot of difference between entry level and intermediate level cameras? Also, does any body have a brand preference in reference to quality, feature, price and availability of extras etc.

feel free to post any feedback, its all helpful

I like canon for their trusted reliability and eas of use. All of their products are great. Nikon is what i'm using at the moment. Thet shots i can get with a Nikon are fantastic. I love using a 50mm lens and getting some nice broad shots.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The 550D is fast becoming a classic, its a great camera...The one I personally liked the most too... I tried out the 600D the other day and was hooked to the point of handing over the cash, then I was shown the Nikon 7000, I have always been a Cannon fan but I might be won over by this one. My suggestion is take a Nikon 3100 & Cannon 550D for a shoot, its really hard to split them...
Let me know what happens.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Yea they both look good - What is selling me on the canon is the full hi def video and its 18 mp over the nikon 14 mp. Also, my old man can buy canon through his store so i can get it cheap!

The Sentinel

Jul 20, 2011
I recently bought a Sony NEX-5, my first DSLR, it's a micro 3/4 or something styled cam - doesn't have a view finder, just an LCD screen.
Very happy with it as we wanted a camera that was small and practical to carry around as a general use camera (with idiot mode) and one that had the ability to switch to a full manual function with interchangeable lens. Fits that role very well.
At the moment there's only a pancake and zoom lens, but by September Carl Zeiss is expected to release a macro and portrait lens, whoopi!