Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
DSB questions
With a DSB can I just use the sand same as my tank which is about 2mm material?

I have a tank that is cycled and am adding DSB....if answer to question above is yes I assume no need for seeding

If answer to abover is no, that is I need special sand, do I leave alone, do I seed with sand from tank, or do I seed with sand from someone elses DSB

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey mate, nOrk summed up DSB this morning in the general reef related sec, with a topic called sand beds.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
2mm isn't quite ideal for the purpose, but it will work (albeit at the sacrifice of infaunal diversity). No need for additional seeding, however your best bet is to build up to maximum depth over a number of weeks doing an inch a week or so. This will help keep things from going into too great a shock and allow the different trophic layers of the sandbed to develop properly. An anoxic layer can form in anything over about 1.5" with the right grain size, but with this substrate go for at least 150mm.

Check out the Advanced Aquarist series and articles by Dr. Ron Shimek on the topic, some very interesting finds in regards to depth and grain size.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I can get some new sand if that would be better...what do you think?

If I go with new sand does that go in in one go or layers too.

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
The ideal grain size is between 0.1mm and 1mm, a mix of it allows a better proliferation of infauna. For what it's worth I've been using 1-2mm for my DSBs for some time with success so it all comes down to what's available.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I'm actually getting Rodneyri's old tank and have my sand and rock all cycled in a garden pond waiting....when I set up should I grab Rod's sand and wash it all out , place it in the sump and just wait for it to become "active"?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
If his tank is still operating, and the sand smells good I would some of it to seed your own sand bed. If you are lucky, it will be full of worms, pods etc which will help in establishing your own tank.
It all depends on whether the tank is still operating ;)