Reef Discussion

Stretcherboy

Jul 11, 2011
gold coast
Dosing???
Hey everyone so just wondering if it is worth dosing my tank with supps... I do 15% water changes weekly and currently only planning on keeping softies, morphs, leathers and eventually maybe lps but yeah just wondering if it will be worth it for growth and colour?????

Cheers andrew

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Andrew

The corals you are looking to keep do not have high calcium or alkalinity demands which are the primary elements replaced via dosing. IMO your weekly water changes will be sufficient to maintain these elements at acceptable levels.

Also, dosing blindly is not a good idea. If you are not able to measure your calcium, alk, magnesium etc then don't dose these elements. But, if you can measure them, and your water changes are not maintaining adequate levels, then dose away :)

Stretcherboy

Jul 11, 2011
gold coast
Ok thanks heaps for the info I've been gettin mmy water tested at the lfs and all the levels have been sweet... Im planing on getting a test kit this week. But sounds good to me if i dont have to dose just thought id check coz i read alot on the net about all this stuff people add to there tanks and wanted to know if its a must.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I keep both soft and hard corals. Have noticed that the soft corals perform better when I maintain the alkalinity and Calcium. Also dose with trace elements. Noticed that the Xenia stops pulsing if the Alkalinity drops of I mis dosing with Iodide. I use the Xenia as an indicator of such things :-)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
oh. By the way, if anyone is in need of an Iodine/Iodide test kit, I have one spare (new/never used) that I am willing to give away (if you can not pick it up you will have to pay for postage).
Cheers

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have kits, you can test my water if you like though. As I said I'm myprevious post, I have a spare test kit for iodine/iodide that I am willing to give away (I ordered 1 but was sent 2)!