Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Devils hand growth
Soo every couple of weeks my green devils hand closes up for a few days with no pe then opens again and sheds a decent slime coat....... Is this some sort of growth pattern ?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Soo every couple of weeks my green devils hand closes up for a few days with no pe then opens again and sheds a decent slime coat....... Is this some sort of growth pattern ?
mine does the exact same josh, some times mine will go completely brown and then shed a layer of film bringing the polyps straight back out. i once thought it was on its way out as it didn't have polyp extension for a few weeks

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Josh,

Even though this is a normal process to rid themselves of algae and wastes that have accumulated on the coral, every couple of weeks seems a bit too frequent for my liking. My soft corals will shed maybe twice a year and it's a very thin layer. I would personally move it to where it gets higher flow so that it doesn't need to shed as often. I also find at the very base of the softies, they sometimes get a build up of old layers over time that have not come off on their own, so I assist it by very gently peeling this off with tweezers without touching any healthy tissue.

This is just what I like to do so others might have different advice, but it works for me.

Do you have much algae in the tank? What sort of nutrient export do you use? ie. water changes, skimmer etc.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Well every couple of weeks is probably an exaggeration but it's def more than every 6 months ! A have a 2ft cube about 1/3 full of lr with a 2' by 13" sump about 8-10" full. I do 20L once a week wc running a bm nac7 24/7 I have a small dsb growing macro in the top. Stock list is lots of lps and softies 2 redline cleaners a peppy a small male psych mandarin and a breeding pair of b&w clowns. Oh and CUC of cause

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Based on the description of your setup and maintenance, I would say it just needs more flow. I have found a lot of softies enjoy strong flow as long as it isn't pointed directly at them. If that doesn't reduce the frequency of shedding over the next few months let us know.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Based on the description of your setup and maintenance, I would say it just needs more flow. I have found a lot of softies enjoy strong flow as long as it isn't pointed directly at them. If that doesn't reduce the frequency of shedding over the next few months let us know.
agree with this. they like indirect flow, if the flow is to direct they will retract and they can also be damaged,