Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Dead mushroom coral?
Hi,

I just checked, and one of my corals is all shriveled up and it has like white "guts" coming outside of the top of it and just under it's foot. Does this mean it is dead? Should I take it out of the tank?

Thanks.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
leave it for now. but id ramp up the water changes to make sure you dont have an ammonia spike. can you get a picture?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you need to buy some test kits so you know whats going on or take some water to a LFS
check
amonia
nitrate
alk
phosphate
calcium

and let us know the result

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A picture would be good. I have never seen a mushroom 'die' as such - they are basically indestructible. The white bits are part of its digestive system which sometimes comes out of the mouth.

I would keep an eye on it but wouldn't be too concerned at this stage.

Something I havn't seen before - one of my rhodactus mushrooms has split over the last week or so. Pictures here http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/rhodactus-mushroom-splitting.225/

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Okay guys,

All the tests came back normal.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.2

Perhaps my Ph is too low? Or my test kits may be stuffed?

Thanks.

P.S - The coral seems to be slowly opening up now, and looks a bit better. I can't take a photo because I have no camera at the moment.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ocassionly one of my morphs does somthing similar it spews out a string of white. not sure why usualy does it if you touch it

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Apparently they do that when they are stressed. When they die they turn into a slime. I took a look at it today, it has gone back to normal. I hope everything will be okay now.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Mine always starts the day shrivled and after an hour of the lights being on is fine?

It also sheds a layer of Mucas every now and then, it stays shrivled during this stage.

After 2 or 3 days of shedding it's back to normal