New To Reefing

Maddclimb

Jun 11, 2018
Cycle
I am in the process of cycling a new tank.
I am using all dry rock and dry sand and have used Dr.Tims to help speed up the cycle and dosing Dr.Tims Ammonia solution.

So its now been over 3 weeks and my ammonia has still not dropped. (2-3ppm) and no nitrites. My nitrates are < 0.25ppm but im not sure if thats just the red sea test kit always having a tinge of pink?

I have mixed my own salt using red sea coral pro salt and ro/di water. The RO/DI unit is brand new from PSI filters so I shouldn't be getting any chlorine/chloromines preventing bacteria growth.

Is it normal to not see ammonia reduction after 3 weeks? I've been tempted to get a piece of LR from the LFS to seed it as I'm getting inpatient but I'm holding off cause I don't want any pests and I've already waited this long, might as well see it through.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Cycling tanks are my favourite topic- back in the day I used your dry method and had a disease pest free tank for 3 years. Since you are off to such a good start, continue your career by adding bacteria and feeding your bacteria with complimentary bacteria food.
These days pick up Aquaforest bacteria and the bacteria food - they come in dropper bottles- I’ll put up a photo for you a little later.

This will speed up your cycle mate.

Maddclimb

Jun 11, 2018
I got a bit inpatient and got another bottle of Dr.Tims the other day and last night I finally got some nitrite and nitrate production (nitrite @ .25 and nitrate @ 2). I don;t know if the the first Dr Tims was bad and the cycle just took longer than normal or if the second bottle of Dr Tims actually worked.
If the cycle stalls again I might end up getting those AF products. Will probably be handy to have around with setting up QT tanks anyway

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
With dry start up you will get a ton of Phosphate leach into your tank. Highly recommend you bacteria dose and feed to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate. It’s a pity we can’t get zeovit bac and start anymore those products were awesome.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
FYI dry start method encourages the implementation of a small bit of live rock at the start up.

Regardless over time you will get all manner of copepods snails starfish etc in your tank.

Maddclimb

Jun 11, 2018
Hopefully I wont get any phosphate leach from the rock as its brand new (i.e., it was never "live rock"). I'm using the CaribSea Life Rock which is harvested from land I believe.
I'm hoping to add some chaeto in the sump for phosphate and nitrate export and also hopefully introduce some pods at the same time :)

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hopefully I wont get any phosphate leach from the rock as its brand new (i.e., it was never "live rock"). I'm using the CaribSea Life Rock which is harvested from land I believe.
I'm hoping to add some chaeto in the sump for phosphate and nitrate export and also hopefully introduce some pods at the same time :)
Nice one.