Reef Discussion

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
Crab in my tank & brittle star
I have found a crab in the tank , how do i know if its safe to have him and also a britte star as well, i have to try to get pics of the crab

ai44.tinypic.com_atq1c.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The brittle star will be fine in your tank. The crab, however, I would put in your sump - not sure of the species, dr_schell may be able to help, but it looks a bit hairy, and I have a personal distrust of hairy crabs :rolleyes

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
the only hairy crab id rust is a teddy bear crab ...... and there rare to come by..... often gorilla crabs are sold as teddies but there def not reef safe !

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The crab looks to be a juvenile so it is a little hard to tell. My best guesses would be either a White-fingered Coral Clinger (Cymo andreossyi), a Warty Reef Scraper (Pilodius areolatus), or a Spined Hairy Crab (Pilumnus terraereginae). Either way, I agree MagicJ. Probably best to remove it to an area where it can live hapily and not cause any issues with your corals.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I want a teddy bear so bad ! I love crusties of all forms.... Only ever seen one for sale and my tank hadn't cycled at that point :-(

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Hey Chris just chuck him in sump buddy hell do a good job of cleaning up flex was food that makes its was down there :-) I have a couple of common rock crabs in mine there cool have zero fear now they try and attack my hand whenever it goes in the sump