Reef Discussion

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
crab ID?

so i know the quality of this video is really bad..but i had to capture the footage before i scared the crab back into its hole...last night i was looking around my tank while the lights where off and i noticed 2 of these guys, and possibly 3 of them..im a bit unsure on what to do with them..i have a feeling their not very reef safe..but if anyone could use this crappy footage to possibly ID it for me and let me know for sure it would be a great help.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
cannot really make out the type of crab. Has the general bodyshap of one of the spider/decorator crabs. Probably best for it to live in your sump. If you can get a better pic, that would be helpful.

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
thanks guys..from the research i did it looked like id have to get rid of it as well..i dont have a sump but..i run a hang on filter with live rock in it, and a hang on protein skimmer..its only a small tank..any one got any tips on catching this guy? I'm very cautious in moving rocks and stuff around in my tank, i dont want to accidentally kill a peppermint shrimp or anything.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
You can try a crab trap- use a softdrink bottle-1liter or so. Cut off the top third part of the bottle -then invert this back into the bottle.Fill the bottle trap with tank water-you may need to weight it down. bait the trap using some shrimp /or fish-try to place it where you have seen the crabs-leave overnight

Other people have used a glass leant against the rock at 45 degrees and baited

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
hope this helps
cool, thanks heaps, i actually used this method to catch my damsel..i just got a bottle that had a big enough rim..but when i finally did catch it to return to the lfs i couldn't bring myself to part ways with it lol..but ill definitely try it again with a smaller bottle and place it where i saw the crab...thanks

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I am a perfect example of why pest crabs should go sooner rather than later, I have had a 'pest' crab of some sort in my tank since 2008 - started off really small and is now about an inch wide. It seriously injured a pipefish when it got too close and has almost nabbed my yellow tipped hermit at least once that I know of which I have had just as long (they are opportunistic). It is a serial pest at trying to flip new corals until it gets used to them, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it - as I imagine the only option is death, unless anyone wants a little pet? And really, how often do you need to add a new coral or a new fish. I was fully convinced it had died just recently as I found its shed exoskeleton and it was more convincing than usual - was with great relief I saw him/her scavenging yesterday. You do get attached in some cases.

Glad your damsel stayed :)

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
I am a perfect example of why pest crabs should go sooner rather than later, I have had a 'pest' crab of some sort in my tank since 2008 - started off really small and is now about an inch wide. It seriously injured a pipefish when it got too close and has almost nabbed my yellow tipped hermit at least once that I know of which I have had just as long (they are opportunistic). It is a serial pest at trying to flip new corals until it gets used to them, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it - as I imagine the only option is death, unless anyone wants a little pet? And really, how often do you need to add a new coral or a new fish. I was fully convinced it had died just recently as I found its shed exoskeleton and it was more convincing than usual - was with great relief I saw him/her scavenging yesterday. You do get attached in some cases.

Glad your damsel stayed :)
if i catch it, i'll bring it to the LFS and ask them if they could pop it into one of their sumps..dont think id be able to kill it or do anything bad to it.

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
i got up in the middle of the night to see if i could see that crab wondering around..and tonight i saw him, and another 3 crabs!!!!..like wtf seriously, i must of brought live rock that was home to a family of them...however, the 3 new ones i found where a bit different...they where white..i dont know if its cause they may be fresh from molting or because thats just their colour, but if it is their natural colour they may be different crabs...its so hard to get any sort of good pic but.

i feel like i really got to take these crabs out of the tank..ive been setting traps with glass jars but non of them seem to be working..im thinking i take my live rock out and give it a good shake or something..is this a good idea at all?...the only reason why i havnt done that yet is because i really hate moving my rock around..it means my corals have to settle in different positions...but what I'm really scared of is if by doing it i hurt my peppermint shrimp...this crab situation is really stressing me out!!..if i ever have to buy live rock again im really gonna have a good look al over it.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
If you can see the crabs on the rock, take it out and dunk it in a bucket of fresh cold water. They will come shooting out. Just make sure you get the crabs back into salt water immediately.

Are they causing you any problems though?

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
If you can see the crabs on the rock, take it out and dunk it in a bucket of fresh cold water. They will come shooting out. Just make sure you get the crabs back into salt water immediately.

Are they causing you any problems though?
their not causing any major problems, i think they may be the cause of one of my corals falling over a few times but, and if they are pests and are a risk to keep in my tank i would rather they be gone.

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
photo-1.JPG
managed to find 6 crabs in my tank today..pulled my rock out and pocked all the holes with a lil stick..flushed the holes out with some ro water as well..i caught them and now their floating in my tank in a lil breeders containers..if someone can confirm for me that their better off in a sump then ill be giving them to my mate who can give them a home.
photo.JPG