Reef Discussion

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Crab ID Please
I'm hoping someone here has had one of these crabs in their tanks in the past...This fella moulted so was able to finally take a top view of the moult...
Hubby said he was similar to a three spot crab but wasn't one..Sorry about the photo quality from my phone. But you get the general idea and markings.

318641_2001440210678_1683770829_1382845_1322743386_n.jpg

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for that guys....Sorry I didn't get back before now but I work afternoon shift a few days a week.

The difference with these two are the nipper/claw size...My fella has them both the same size unlike say a muddy or the one above that one major and one minor...Also the white tips on the legs in which each leg is evenly marked..."at this stage" he is also only 1cm across.

Also no descrete signs of aggression, unlike the common small grey hitchhikers where you will see them throw a claw out every so often.

I suppose I'll just watch him whenever he is out and enjoy him...I think his a beauty actually.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
if the claws are of similar size, may be a Smooth red reef crab (Liomera cinctimata), or if it has fine white spotting, may be a juvenile Red and White-spotted Reef Crab (Lophozozymus erinnyes). Without better photography, I cannot supply any other alternative.
Cheers.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
given the carapace shape and relatively small claw length, this is unlikely to be one of the coral crabs (ie. Trapezia sp.)

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Well my crab has been coming out of hiding the last couple of days/nights since he was holed up for a while after his moult...yes he is a bit bigger and also I have noticed that the side of his claws have gone from solid red/orange to having white speckles on them but still with the white stripe down both. He kept his white "socks" on his legs also.
Last night I was able to study him under full lights...Watched his actions when LM Blennie he his tail on him and there was no reaction from the crab, he just kept on picking at the rock platform (I had just feed small pellets to fish and suncoral.) Zebra snails seem fine and have been close to him.
Would love a chance to take a decent photo, maybe now he isn't so elusive I might be able to.

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
I thought about it, then thought I would scare it away. meaning no chance to study it...hope it comes out again tonight..

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
Just thought I'd let you know I still have this crab in the tank.

He has gone through another moult and now lives in the bottom of the tank where he has dug out a bit of a cave under the rock. He has lost the stripes on his claws and has gotten a heap more really fine, white peppered spots. He hasn't created any problems, you just have to make sure you don't put small corals in front of his cave area or he will shift them around. Still no reactions when fish, star fish or inverts go near his cave while he is eating off the sand or around the rock. He actually lives in the same area as the peppermint shrimp.