Reef Discussion

Should I put him back in the Display Tank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Crab Id - Can Anyone Give Me Some Advice
Tonight I struck gold whilst cleaning my display tank and caught this good sized crab.
DSC_0357.JPG

I was hoping someone might help me ID and let me know what i should do with him? I had a feeling something was at one end of my 6 foot tank and scaring the other fish who due to this never went near that particular end. I've also noted snails going missing (a lot of them). Could it be this guy?

Appreciate the advice

Thanks
Matt

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
looks like a Thalamita

Maybe a baby blue swimmer crab with all the blue highlights

looks like a cute little guy. id wait will he gets ugly then eat him :p

Last edited:

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Tonight I struck gold whilst cleaning my display tank and caught this good sized crab.
View attachment 41423
I was hoping someone might help me ID and let me know what i should do with him? I had a feeling something was at one end of my 6 foot tank and scaring the other fish who due to this never went near that particular end. I've also noted snails going missing (a lot of them). Could it be this guy?

Appreciate the advice

Thanks
Matt
I alway put things I can't ID in sump I have quite a few crabs in the sump.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Im only keen on things with fins, claws and legs gives me the creeps..

OK I'll admit it, they scare me :eek

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Glad i don't use live rocks any more :p back when i did we used to encounter them.

They come in as small hitch hikers in the rock and grow quick. Nothing but trouble and hard to catch, with the fins they swim out of traps that catch normal crabs and are very quick.

They will have a go at whatever they can catch to eat.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks everyone for the info. I have popped him in the sump for now but agree there is no way he is going back in the display tank. Too much trouble and i had found several smaller dead crabs over the last few months. He must have been the dominant one. Also lost a few hermits which i am now putting down to him.