Reef Discussion

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Courtship in Blue-eyed Cardinalfish (Apogon leptacanthus)
Hi Guys/Gals,

Was watching my nano tank and noticed my Blue-eyed cardinal fish (Apogon leptacanthus) - see image below - were pairing up and courting. Courtship seems similar to that of Bangai Cardinals in so much that the female initiates contact. Male behaviour, however appears to be much mor energetic. I have attached 2 videos of the innital courtship displays. Will try to film actual egg deposition and transfer.

Cheers, Chris.

Blue eyed cardinals.JPG

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Hi Chris,

Where did you get these guys from? Have u got an aprox price on them too? I've been trying to find them for ages least i know now they are in australia somewhere lol

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Chris,

Where did you get these guys from? Have u got an aprox price on them too? I've been trying to find them for ages least i know now they are in australia somewhere lol
pet city Mt Gravatt (QLD) got them for the bargin price of $5 each (they were small and had not coloured up)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Oh and btw how ridiculous is your plating coraline!!
thanks, I like the word ridiculous. The coraline grows like a weed in this tank. In the pics on this thread, much of it had been broken in an attempt to extract my mair of 6 line wrasses to move them to a larger tank. It grows very quickly and it is starting to appear in the darker areas of my other tanks too. Seems to not like much light.

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
haha, rhidonculous is also a good word lol. I'm assuming this tank has been set up for quite sometime for coraline growth such as that. Any more spawning behaviour been shown since? Or have they in fact spawned since?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
haha, rhidonculous is also a good word lol. I'm assuming this tank has been set up for quite sometime for coraline growth such as that. Any more spawning behaviour been shown since? Or have they in fact spawned since?
tank has been set up for 2.5 years. They have spawned, but could not catch on film. Will try to film it nest time. The coraline established very quickly! Was forming plates 2.5cm wide within 6 months of the tank beeing set up