Reef Discussion

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Coraline algae
So, I have a little fake submarine relic in the nano tank. What I would like to know, is if there is anyway I can get Coraline algae to grow on it? I have a little bit growing on some live rock, but I would like to see the toy submarine covered in it as I think it will look good.

Thanks.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Is the relic made of plastic or terrocotta (this will affect the speed the coraline establishes). Keep your calcium high and the relic in a relitive shaded area (lit but not under blazing halides). The coraline will establish fist in the relatively poorly lit areas. You could speed the process up by getting some scrapings, crunching them up and sprinkling them onto the relic. In a well maintained tank, it is impossible NOT to have coraline algae covering everything. It is good because filamentous algae does not establish on the coraline.
Hope that this helps

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the coraline will still establish. The thing with coraline is that you have to introduce it to your tank to get different types. This is usually done with live rock but scrapings to equally well. Am PMing you now

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
if its on your liverock after time it will establish itself and slowly cover the sub and rocks, love the look of rocks covered in coraline!:grin