Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Coral Glue
What do people use to attatch coral to a rock? I know there are special coral glues however i have heard of people just using super glue. Using a morph for example, can you simply put a dob of glue onto the base of the morph and stick it to a rock or is there a more technical way? I dont want to 'burn' or harm the coral with the wrong glue. I have also heard of using fishing line and wrapping this around the rock. Any ideas or hints????

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I use this one http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/household-adhesive/quick-fix-adhesive/quick-fix-gel . The gel is a bit easier to work with than the standard liquid form.

You won't harm the coral doing what you have described above.

Dry the rock as much as possible - put the glue on the rock and leave it for a while to get a skin - dry off the morph where you want to attach it i.e. sit it on some paper towel - push the morph down onto the glue (can be a bit difficult as the morph is probably a bit slimy by now) - leave for a while and then gently place in a tub of tank water - leave here for a while for the glue to set (maybe 10 or 15 minutes) - place back in tank in a low flow area. Must be low flow or over time the morph will break away from the glue. I use a plastic container which I sit on the sand with the newly glued morph inside.