Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Coral Feeding - Reef-roids
I use a variety of homemade and commercial products to feed my corals but the core of my coral feeding for many years now has been Reef-Roids & 100% Reefsafe Amino Acid. Reef-Roids were actually designed specifically to feed goniopora, once considered impossible to keep alive. Being such small particles they can be consumed by any filter feeding creatures and that makes them ideal to me. 100% Reef Safe Amino Acid is a great Aussie product, really good value and lasts a long time.

I've been following the "BRS160 - 52 Weeks of Reefing" episodes on Youtube and in week 39 (shown below), they share the results of testing by the Hawaiin Institute of Marine Biology. Corals were tested for growth under various lighting & feeding regimes and to me, the results justify me sticking with Reef-Roids. It's well worth a look if you want to get the most out of your coral.

6288716364_d784f1cc66_b.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I have both as well however never really found out how much to feed and if you mix them together. I have had my reefroids for 3 years so suggest Im not feeding enough 350L DT ? I mix maybe 1/2 spoon of amino & <1/4 spoon roids in the same container with tank water then target feed, although lucky to do this once a week.

What is your feeding regime, All I know if amino send my skimmer ballistic

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I have both as well however never really found out how much to feed and if you mix them together. I have had my reefroids for 3 years so suggest Im not feeding enough 350L DT ? I mix maybe 1/2 spoon of amino & <1/4 spoon roids in the same container with tank water then target feed, although lucky to do this once a week.

What is your feeding regime, All I know if amino send my skimmer ballistic
Rob, I used to also mix and send my skimmer ballistic. After a few months of observations I noticed:
- most corals wouldn't trigger feeding response when fed the mixture, but would respond to Reefroid only. Then I did some research and some papers indicate corals feed on aminoacids mostly via their tissue, not their mouths. So, I stopped mixing.
- I noticed better results when giving small doses of "100% amino". The sweet spot is just enough to not send the skimmer ballistic.
When I used to give more, it required the skimmer to be turned off, increased nutrients and I didn't see any benefit in tissue growth.
- I spread 100% aminos in the tank, to trigger polyp extension and then I target feed with coral with Reefroid 5 minutes later.

Cheers

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
@Franklin Dattein So, with reference to the 100% Amino "spoon" how many reefroids do you feed at a time and at what frequency ?
@Rob I feed Reefroids equivalent to a very full ice cream spoon, that comes with 100% aminos. That is enough to target feed all LPS in my 180l tank. Frequency is pretty random, more or less once a week. When in a hurry I just dump it in the tank with the pumps on.

@potatocouch I've read that Reefroids raises PO4 in a number of forums, but I never had any issues. Worth saying I use PO4 export methods, which could be the reason I don't notice any increases.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I see a lot of the gurus are now saying that without a good PO4 export system, you will always have issues with phosphates. Sounds pretty much spot on to me.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
What is a good Po4 export system?
Really it's anything that works. The simplest and most fail-safe is possibly GRANULAR FERRIC OXIDE , commonly referred to as GFO. Brand names include Rowaphos, Phosban, etc. Best used in a reactor imo. Some people use biopellets, zeovit and so on.

Some macro algae will absorb PO4 but I've tested most and none of them do a good enough job on their own, at least in my tests. I've really only used GFO but I'm sure others will jump in with more info. There is also a new 'rollermat' material being tested in Germany that they hope will remove PO4 as well as particulates but I think it's still a fair way off.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
@Rob I feed Reefroids equivalent to a very full ice cream spoon, that comes with 100% aminos. That is enough to target feed all LPS in my 180l tank. Frequency is pretty random, more or less once a week. When in a hurry I just dump it in the tank with the pumps on.

@potatocouch I've read that Reefroids raises PO4 in a number of forums, but I never had any issues. Worth saying I use PO4 export methods, which could be the reason I don't notice any increases.
I feed reef roids 1 teaspoon mixed in tank water 1 a week in my 400lt DT is this enough, i am always fighting nitrates and phos?

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It is hard to determine how much is enough, it will depend on your goals.
I feed reefroids because it is the only way keep gonis and it is handy to grow scans. Therefore, enough for me is if my gonis and acans are thriving.

If your nitrates are high, I would suggest backing off on feeding anything to corals until you can control it. In general, corals will do weel without feeding, but will struggle on high nitrates.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
It is hard to determine how much is enough, it will depend on your goals.
I feed reefroids because it is the only way keep gonis and it is handy to grow scans. Therefore, enough for me is if my gonis and acans are thriving.

If your nitrates are high, I would suggest backing off on feeding anything to corals until you can control it. In general, corals will do weel without feeding, but will struggle on high nitrates.
thanks, I have 4 gonis, but i am very worried about my elegance, he is so beautiful large gold tip, but he has all of a sudden put away from his shell