Reef Discussion

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Coral Beauty - Part 2
Hi all,

So I have decided to catch the CB and my peppermint shrimps last night. Obviously I have to rip my scape apart and pull some rocks out of the water. I have used a 12" net and after an hour or so... she's in my refugium along with 4 pepermint shrimps...

The excitment and happiness quickly faded as my tank looks like it had an earth quake. I can not put back the rocks the way I wanted it to be and it frustrates me and makes me upset...

I guess patience is my friend now to slowly putting the scape back together...

Cheers

Hil

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hey hil, you will get there mate, sit down and think about what you want to achieve and what look you are aiming for then stick at it for a good few hrs!!

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hi Hil,

I know how you feel. After pulling half the rock out of one tank it now looks really bad. Isnt it funny how you can never get the rock work back the same? Takes some time but it will get there. Hope you have the patience, cause i dont lol.

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
The most Shitty bit is that i snapped my tong while moving the rocks.... Found people are selling tongs for pickin rubbish for only $2.50? WTF? Will test if it is reef safe first.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Im thinking the same thing? Mine's two and half foot deep and I can still reach the bottom. Using tong's is good way to drop the rock me think's. That could be nasty.

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
my tank is 5 * 2.5 * 2.5 ft deep, but my tank is 2m high, one of those front entrance display tank. I need to climb up the ladder and use a tong...

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Gee, dont that sound like fun! :)

Dont envy you there hil. I bet you take your time so you dont drop any rock in the tank. The things we do for a nice tank huh

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
lol I can BARELY touch the rock and drill it into the sand bed, but as you know, looking at the rocks from the top is different from on the side... Im quite serious about my aquascape... For my planted tanks, I use a video camera on tripod to test whether the scape is "camera catchy" or not... 2D vs 3D...

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Damn you are serious! but its worth it in the end. You have actually given me an idea tho. I like the video idea, change it as you go and you get to see what your doing as it happens. Very handy while up a ladder looking through the top and guesin where you want that piece.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
I pulled mine apart to catch my chomis and got really frustrated because I couldn't replicate the previous design

Luckily my new one turned out better

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
That's the way! Often the new scape doesn't look good until it all settles in, you also have to get the coraline growing on often different sides of the rock what is also a reason why a new scape looks so "virgin"