Reef Discussion

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Coral banded shrimp
Hey guys im looking at a pair of banded shrimp and im just wondering what there lik, what they eat ect ect, also what a good price is for a pair.
cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
CBS are omnivores and will eat a variety of standard foods - flake, frozen, live. They cannot be kept with any other shrimps.

If getting 2, make sure they are a pair - they need to be in the same tank at the LFS and preferably transported home in the same bag.

You should expect to pay from $70-$100.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Thats alright, they are in the same tank, and at $89 for the pair.
Why cant you keep other shrimp with them??
Not even peppermints??.
cheers

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
from personal experience, the CBS's are not called boxing Shrimp for no reason, they will fight any other shrimp in the tank :) except mantis .. now thats a fight i'd like to see :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
from personal experience, the CBS's are not called boxing Shrimp for no reason, they will fight any other shrimp in the tank :) except mantis .. now thats a fight i'd like to see :)
CBS pose NO threat to stomatopods (except during the stomatopods molt cycle)....

However....

A stomatopod WILL KILL a CBS in a heart beat, there nothing more then really tasty expensive snacks for mantis shrimp.

EDIT: If you look on youtube you will find a video of a peacock 'dismantling' a CBS....the CBS couldn't put up much of a fight.

Azfish

Sep 23, 2011
Sydney
Sorry are we talking about keeping CBS with Mantis Shrimp or CBS with peps/red's etc? As stated, IME, I tried to keep a pair of CBS with some other shrimp (redliners) in which the CBS took a liking to and killed. In another tank that had just LR in it and a mantis (my frag tank) the CBS and Mantis never bothered each other.

So my post was in reference to keeping CBS with Lysmata species, not Mantis Shrimp. The comment about the Mantis was an off the cuff comment.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
no worries guys, looks like ill just keep searching for some peps, there are none at my LFS as they went and put a snowflake eel in the tank, who ofcourse ate every one of them

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I have a pair of CBS in my large display tank. Also in this tank is about 20 pepermints. I have not noticed that the CBS are an issue with the peps as the peps move quickly when compared to the CBS. Also the peps will get into the narrow gaps in the live rock, gaps where the CBS cannot fit.
If you want to keep peps wit the CBS, ensure the tank is large enough, and there is enough rockwork with suitable gaps for the shrimp to avoid each other. The CBS set up a terretory (cleaning station) which they defend. They exclude the other shrimp from this area.

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
I have a pair of CBS in my large display tank. Also in this tank is about 20 pepermints. I have not noticed that the CBS are an issue with the peps as the peps move quickly when compared to the CBS. Also the peps will get into the narrow gaps in the live rock, gaps where the CBS cannot fit.
If you want to keep peps wit the CBS, ensure the tank is large enough, and there is enough rockwork with suitable gaps for the shrimp to avoid each other. The CBS set up a terretory (cleaning station) which they defend. They exclude the other shrimp from this area.
Do you find the Redlines territorial as well? Mine tends to have a favourite area in the tank but is away from where the peppys are...In fact the peppys live under the same rock as that red and white crab of mine. I tend to have one peppy that's bolder than the other one...the big one is quite elusive actually and you don't see it much at all. I often wonder if it is still there until after a month or so they both turn up together.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
I had to relocate my pep cause my redline would chase it away every feeding time.... He now rules the roost in my nano that no longer has any waratah nems ;)

They have peps at Reeflections in moorabbin.. (or did last weekend.. $30 a peice) and i got one from Williamstown a year ago.. i lost him after the tank move.. but havnt had any aptasia since.. i guess he got it allllll.. so i might upgrade to a shrimp that i actually see from time to time.