Reef Discussion

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Coral Banded Shrimp
Can I keep a Coral Banded Shrimp in an 8 gal nano? At the moment it only has 2 clowns in it, but I'm planning for more stock, 2 more fish (but doing 2 20-30% water changes a week when it gets stocked to compensate for the overload of poo and nutrients), which I know will make things hard but I'm up for it. Will also consider not getting more fish and just have the CBS cause i think they are awesome.

Last edited:

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
The problem with doing water changes so frequently is that you take out key elemental nutrients that keep the microflora biological system, especially in 20-30% a week.

I think there needs to be some serious consideration when it comes to how you are going to supplement your tank's elemental nutrients.

I also think there needs to be serious consideration in keeping 4 fish in 8 gallon tank. Assuming some of that volume is occupied by live rock and your substrate, you might only be playing with 7-6.5 gallons.

I don't believe that you'll be able to sustain a healthy and correctly supplemented tank with the method by which you've mentioned above. Tanks are complex and equilibriated ecosystems - yes a water change is instrumental to maintaining tank health, but not in an amount and frequency that disrupts an environment already placed under such biological stress.

Reef tanks are expensive as are the additives, fish, live rock and the whole set up, you'll be buy A LOT of chemicals to supplement your tank. Also, you'll need to ensure that you are incredibly accurate when measuring in a tank so small. I think it's best a tank your size stays with MAX 2 fish, without the prospect of further additions.

That's just my opinion as a pharmacologist with a minor in biochemistry.

Last edited:

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
I better save up for a bigger tank then haha, oh how poor I am going to be for the next few years

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I wouldn't add any more fish or a large shrimp because the clowns are going to need to claim the entire tank for their territory.

I ran a tank that size for a year with a saron shrimp, sea apple, fromia starfish and hermit crabs - the only equipment being an undergravel filter, powerhead and heater, with 2 kgs of live rock. In summer, my 'chiller' was closing the curtains and covering the tank with a damp towel with a fan aimed at it. I'd happily advocate up to 50% water change weekly and its easy to do on this size tank. If you go with an invertebrate tank - pay close attention to matching the salinity when completing the water change as shrimp are more sensitive to rapid changes in salinity.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Doing frequent partial changes with GOOD water poses no problems as long as the salinity and temp match. If I had a tank that small, I'd do a gallon every 3rd day.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Can I keep a Coral Banded Shrimp in an 8 gal nano? At the moment it only has 2 clowns in it, but I'm planning for more stock, 2 more fish (but doing 2 20-30% water changes a week when it gets stocked to compensate for the overload of poo and nutrients), which I know will make things hard but I'm up for it. Will also consider not getting more fish and just have the CBS cause i think they are awesome.
Hi mate, I had four fish in a 10 gallon, which isn't that much bigger than yours.

Now, they were all small, and one of them was a temporary resident anyways. I knew that two of them would remain small, so there'd really only be one 'main' inhabitant in the end. So long as you are aware of that, then adding more fish or a shrimp would be fine. A shrimp however, is harder to care for than just fish. They are more prone to well, death by nutrient spikes and stuff.

That much of a water change isn't really an issue - I was doing that much for a while (possibly even more), until I injured myself. I am unsure if that much is enough as is though, to maintain a larger amount of live stock. I had enough Marine Pure for at least a 300 litres fish tank in a 10 gallon, so that was what I relied on. Which is why I am not sure if water changes alone would cut it.

Essentially my suggestion is you may want to do some further research and perhaps identify an easier method of maintaining water parameters than frequent water changes.

Trash

Jan 21, 2013
I think your biggest problem with keeping a shrimp in a nano is the salinity fluctuations. Crustaceans are extremely sensitive to salinity changes and in a nano the evaporation / top off procedure needs to be slow and steady to prevent shock. You don't have the luxury of a large volume of water to help stabilise the salinity of the water.

If you had a drip feed auto top up device you should be ok.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Hi mate, I had four fish in a 10 gallon, which isn't that much bigger than yours.

Now, they were all small, and one of them was a temporary resident anyways. I knew that two of them would remain small, so there'd really only be one 'main' inhabitant in the end. So long as you are aware of that, then adding more fish or a shrimp would be fine. A shrimp however, is harder to care for than just fish. They are more prone to well, death by nutrient spikes and stuff.

That much of a water change isn't really an issue - I was doing that much for a while (possibly even more), until I injured myself. I am unsure if that much is enough as is though, to maintain a larger amount of live stock. I had enough Marine Pure for at least a 300 litres fish tank in a 10 gallon, so that was what I relied on. Which is why I am not sure if water changes alone would cut it.

Essentially my suggestion is you may want to do some further research and perhaps identify an easier method of maintaining water parameters than frequent water changes.
Was thinking of getting some marine pure, but only problem is the small size of the filter in the aquaone 380's, its so small. Was thinking about getting polyfilter though, and cutting that to size to help keep nutrients in control.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Thanks everyone for your replys, muchly appreciated. Im still quite new, but i have high hopes for my future in the hobby. It's caught me in its draft and now after my degree my aim has become to actually do some research into the industry and then move into aquculture and breeding (seriously interested atm in studying fish that can't be bred yet e.g. tangs ect and studying methods and creating methods to try make this tang breeding successful). By the way doing a bachelor of marine bio at the moment with plans on going into research

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Was thinking of getting some marine pure, but only problem is the small size of the filter in the aquaone 380's, its so small. Was thinking about getting polyfilter though, and cutting that to size to help keep nutrients in control.
Poly-filter will keep your phosphates down and polish the water but won't address nitrates. I would also suggest to use it from the beginning and replace it regularly, as if its used to remedy phosphate or dissolved organics it can shock corals - in my case it was my LPS. It can also be a source of ammonia from trapped food if not rinsed as needed. Very good product however.

Also as a guide, most breeders use a 10 gallon as a standard size for a breeding pair of clowns.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Thanks everyone for your replys, muchly appreciated. Im still quite new, but i have high hopes for my future in the hobby. It's caught me in its draft and now after my degree my aim has become to actually do some research into the industry and then move into aquculture and breeding (seriously interested atm in studying fish that can't be bred yet e.g. tangs ect and studying methods and creating methods to try make this tang breeding successful). By the way doing a bachelor of marine bio at the moment with plans on going into research
i think we both have similar plans for the future (except you are ahead of me as i am only in year 9:/)

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
As mentioned by Agent M, poly-filter won't control all your nutrient issues.

I couldn't really fit the MarinePure block in my tank either, but you can cut it up to size, and also put some directly in the display (and hide it with rocks and stuff). There's also the new MarinePure cubes that you can fit together better.

But yeah, if it is the AR380 it is definitely hard to fit anything in. :/ In mine I had to forgo live rock completely actually, and just use the MarinePure directly as base to place the corals on.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
i think we both have similar plans for the future (except you are ahead of me as i am only in year 9:/)
I was 9 once, believe it or not. The year was 1971. I was already breeding Bettas, tetras, livebearers and South American cichlids. You'll get there. With age comes wisdom young man.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
True, but I can't think of anyone who made a positive comment about what you did - how many were still alive when you closed the tank down?

Your two clowns are more than enough for this tank. Coral Banded Shrimp can get quite large so some of the smaller species may be more appropriate - peppermint shrimp for example.

Also as a guide, most breeders use a 10 gallon as a standard size for a breeding pair of clowns.
Also true, but they are also likely to be on some sort of centralised system with a much larger total water volume.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
True, but I can't think of anyone who made a positive comment about what you did - how many were still alive when you closed the tank down?
True, there were only two in the very end. But let's not forget, they carpet-surfed. Before that there was no identifiable issues, so we have that as well.