Reef Discussion

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Condensation jager Eheim heater
Just noticed condensation above the light indicator in a month old Jager heater. Varying views on the net re safety. Have taken it out of the tank anyway. Some opinions say they are safe to continue using and that a lot of them do this. ? any advice/views/experience with this?
I think I'm going to return it anyway-still got receipt

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
I bought a used one and have the same thing happening.....rang the guy back and he said t had been like it since new and there was no problem...I keep using it

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I've got a Fluval in a tropical tank that's been like that for over a year. Not sure if it's good, but it hasn't caused any problems.. touch wood.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
is the condensation internal?

I have had a few heaters that this has happened to. the only brand I would avoid indefinately is the orca heaters, when my bro had the shop we got a heap in, every wattage range had major probs from 50 watt to 300watt, they were shattering inside the tanks after around a month of use. whether it was a bad batch or just how they are cant say, but with the way they busted I wouldnt reccommend them at all.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Yup-just above the indicator light. Took it back-the store owner called Eheim and was told that it does happen. Gave me a replacement though

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Funny you should say that about Orca-the only one I ever tried was for a freshwater tank and the temp setting mechanism broke immediately I set it- never bought them again

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yea that was one of the major probs with the orca. change the setting from when bought and boom stuffed. if it was set at anything over 25 or above the whole heater glass would shatter. so many times it happened.

Ive got 4 Jagers and 1 of the newer bought ones has had condensation in it from say week 2 in the heater tube itself, works fine but i still keep an eye on it and check for leakage of elec, but all good so far.