Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Concentrated Bacteria Additive - yes or no
Was at the LFS getting some RO water and started chatting and was talked into buying Aquasonic Pro_Bac which is a concentrated pro-biotic bacteria.

Instructions are use 7-10 days, turn off skimmer 48hrs......all my chemisrty is fine but was suggested this would make things better.....what are the thoughts?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
if everything is fine, then there is just one question. Why? Seems a little pointless to me

Could it just be another case of an LFS trying to sell you things you don't need?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Remember that is you are setting up a tank, there will be a lage in the chemistry - Ie. amonia spike, followed by a Nitrite spike, followed by elevated nitrates. If you have an established tank, I would thing that the added bacterial concentrate would just end up as food for filter feeding animals. HOWEVER, if you are just setting up a tank, the added bacterial will help to reduce the length of the cycle period by boosting bacterial numbers.
I am sure that all this background information is contained on the bottle's label.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i use prodibio bio digest. one vial weekly for the last 2 years ;) i stoped dosing a carbon food source around a month ago but before that i allways did.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
I used a bacteria starter when starting up my tank, think it was bio booster, I beleive it worked reasonably well as the cycle didn't take a huge amount of time, maybe saved 2-3 weeks possibly.

I would be cautious using it in an established tank just on the fact it could restart the cycle and cause spikes like the Doc has said.

once cycled I wouldnt think it would need more bacteria as the filter should be matured enough to develop what it needs.