Reef Discussion

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Clowns changing sex question
I have a two black occies and the larger one (approx 5cm) is picking on the smaller (approx 4cm) which I know is indication for them to become a pair. My question is though, how long does this generally last for? As the male (smaller one) is showing some damage, nothing significant or infected, just a few missing scales, scars on his nose from them locking jaws, and tattered fins. This has been going on since about the beginning of December, so just wondering how much longer it will carry on for..

Thanks B

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I had a pair of clowns (perculas) that were agressive to each other for 2 years. Alternatively, I have a pair of premnas that showed aggression to each other for 2 days. The point is that the dominant animal has to be sure that the submissive animal knows its place. If the dominant fish is unsure, it will continue the agression. Because of this, clownfish have steriotyped and well developed submisive behaviour (turning sideways and quivering). The agression is usually not fatal (unless neither fish backs down or you have 2 females). It is usual that the larger the difference in the fish, the faster the pecking order is established. If your fish are evenly sized, it may take months. If there is a large difference in size, it may only take days. As the fish form a lasting bond, the agression is then turned to fish outside of the pair bond, so keep an eye on other fish in the tank!

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
Cheers mate. Yeah the smaller of the two is showing the submissive signs that you mentioned, although there isn't a huge size difference, maybe 10 or 15mm between them.. I'll keep an eye on it anyway and if it looks like it's starting to turn out for the worse would you suggest removing the smaller or large fish?

There really isn't anything else in the tank just an Ebli's Angel, Banggai, and a Green Coral Goby (tanks 200L, 3ft)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
no, removing the smaller will only make it worse when you put it back in. If the agression becomes too intense, turn off the lights and this will stop the aggression. 10 to 15mm is enough to ensure the aggression will not last too long. If the smaller is showing submissive signs, that is fantastic. they are on their way to becomming a mated pair :-)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I saw my clowns fighting the other day and the smaller one did the dubmissive behaviour you mentioned... Sounds like they may be on their way tooo :D There has always been a significant size difference so im pretty sure one is female and one male... or at least heading that way!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well i got one of my maroons given to me, its about 10cm in length atm, we then went to go and get it a partner, larger than he is but still smaller than what i got.
After a miss calculation on my part size wise, we ended up bringing home a partner thats about 4times his size, NO agression at all as soon as we put her in, i was expecting ripping of fins, and absolute torment thru the tank, but nothing at all

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
well thats by eye she looks at least 4 times the size, if i was to measure she would probly be around 18-20cm, and he would be closer to 7-8cm or so.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
lol cool I was gonna say ring up guiness world records cause you might have had one of the largest clowns ever. :)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
haha, well she may be getting that way, she has grown at least half a cm since weve had her, thats only been a fortnight.
The fact that these two are going to breed is great, the male spends all his time being cranky and cleaning the rock, and she spends all her time eating or searching for food, it will be interesting to see what happens, one being a white stripe and the other a gold stripe

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes the smaller one is probably so terrified of her that he automatically accepted a submissive position!

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
seams to be the way to go when pairing lone clowns, get one thats either heaps larger, or tiny in comparison and you will get an instant pair haha