Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
daniel

The clown you currently have is a Maroon Clownfish (Premnas biaculeatus) - I think this is correct, could someone please confirm??
ai1137.photobucket.com_albums_n502_velj_DSC02777.jpg

These will grow to around 15cm and will eventually be too big for your tank. They are also a fairly aggressive species, especially towards other clowns, which effectively answers your question ;)

A pair of Ocellaris or Percula clowns would be better suited to your tank - have you thought about possibly swapping your maroon for something more suitable?

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
yeh i only got him for a little bit, how much r they worth? becasue i payed 30 for him i wanted to get two orcellaris but they didn't have any in stock only this one and one other with one stripe i think it was called a tomato clown :S

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The tomato clown grows to about the same size as the maroon and is also a fairly aggressive fish, especially when they get older.

You best bet is to talk to the shop where you bought it and see if they will swap it - hopefully you will be able to get the full value for it if you are just after other fish in return.

Beware of 'impulse buys' - if you go into a shop and they don't have what you intended to buy, leave and go back another day or see if you can put in an order for what you want. That way you won't buy fish that are inappropriate for your tank size or incompatible with your existing fish.

A good idea would be to use the experience of The Reefuge members - put up a list of fish in your TJ that you would like to keep and see what other members think.

As a final comment, with the tank that you have you will only be able to keep a small number of fish - I would suggest that you concentrate on the smaller sized fish available.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yea they are nice clowns but Magic has given great advice. an old fella in town breeds occies for fun, he actually had two breeding females in the same tank (along with the other males). it was a 4 foot tank, 1 and a half foot wide and 1 and a half foot deep. there laying spots were at either end of the tank and he still had problems. had to keep them sperate.

you may find one of each of a different type could work ok but in a 2 foot it is pretty small area. when I say two of a different type try and get them as different as possible. say like a black and white occy and maybe something like a pink skunk. if you do decide to go with a couple of different types do a little research and make sure that everything you could do to avoid problems you can.

there are lots and lots of other types of fish that could go in with clowns. without the drama that would go along without the aggression.

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
yeh if i get other fish i am goig to sell this clown n buy two occy's as they r alot cuter and smaller, i knew a bloke selling two for 75 thought that was a bit pricey what do you blokes recon?

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yeh if i get other fish i am goig to sell this clown n buy two occy's as they r alot cuter and smaller, i knew a bloke selling two for 75 thought that was a bit pricey what do you blokes recon?
yea definately fairly pricey mate. the cheapest I have seen them, which is how much I paid for mine was $7. you should be able to pick them up for less than $20. they do breed readily in captivity to though so you might be able to find someone that breeds them, thats why mine were only $7 each.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
yea definately fairly pricey mate. the cheapest I have seen them, which is how much I paid for mine was $7. you should be able to pick them up for less than $20. they do breed readily in captivity to though so you might be able to find someone that breeds them, thats why mine were only $7 each.
$65+ is around the going retail price for a pair - $7 each is a very good price!!

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
cheers guys :D

I have to get back round to old bill, hes getting on now, not 100% sure of his age but well into his 70s, if not 80s. I think I worked out he had been keeping marine fish and breeding clowns for a good 40 odd years. he even had a university class go around to his place to show how successful he had been with it all, they couldnt find people that could keep a clown alive for more than 9 months, when he told them that his female at the time was 9 years old they were shocked!

If I had another setup going, maybe when the sump is up I could go around and see him and get a few, to pass on cheap occies to the members. the only thing is that he only has two breeding pairs that are completly none related of course, but I would have to get one of each to sell in pairs. but wouldnt be doing it to make a profit. all I would ask is a couple bucks extra for the time to get them and sort them out plus postage.

NOTE- would only do it if there was enough interested and there were enough orders as to send a fish here a couple there makes it hard. would prefer to get it all done in one go. :D

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
Tank Bred Clowns like Occy are usually around the $30 mark retail.

Dont expect to get more than wholesale from your LFS as they wont pay more for a fish.