Reef Discussion

Nov 15, 2012
Clown fish with little dots... WTF... Help Please...
Hi,

I have noticed my Female clown did not eat much last night, The Male (Hoover) smashed everything that was in there anyway, This morning when I got up she is not doing much and has these little white dots on her. He also had a couple but not as bad as her.

What do I do???

After a lot of reading could this possibly be Marine Ich???

I have tried to provide as much info as I can think of but please ask questions if you need more info.

Is there some medication i can put into the water?

Is it too late??? Please excuse photo... it is from my phone so not the best.

photo.JPG

Attachments

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks chimaera.

Has anyone had this problem what is the best method? what did people do that worked? or did not...

I was not sure on it being the itch as these 2 have been stupidly trying to host my coral flat out which has been making it retract back in. (It is funny to watch though) and figured they might have been stung by it. But the more I read about this ich thing the more i feel this is what it is.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Ich is a real pain to get rid of and opinions differ on the best approach. All will stress your fish and need a fair bit of work ...

From what I read, the transfer method is the most effective, but you need two tanks setup for that. Others believe in the copper treatment, which does need just one tank.

I tried the transfer method with my clowns when I got it ... but they did not make it. They were small though, yours looks like a decent size so hopefully is hardy.

QT tank I would suggest no LR or substrate, just some PVC pipes etc for them to hide in. Filtration whatever you can manage really, at minimum a powerhead and regular water changes.

Nov 15, 2012
So I am thinking 2 of the 15L aquariums Put them in one till the ich drop off, then move them to the other 15L empty the first and wash it out. then after 1 week if there is nothing in tank 2 move back to the clean tank 1, and then clean tank 2. and keep doing this for 6 weeks...

What about my main nano 36? and the coral goby? do you think if I just move the clowns out that tank should be ok?

malau

Oct 13, 2011
IME (have ich few times during Q period). Copper takes the shortest time (~10 - 14 days copper + 7-14 days observation). How did I setup is air stone, barebottom. Change water every 2 or 3 days as u dont have any filters..etc

During water change make sure u vaccum the bottom. U can see there are many white spot at the bottom if the bottom is black in color.

The tank I use is those cheap $29 all in one from BigW/KMart .

Make sure you add copper slowly.. different size / types of fish can handle different amount.

Nov 15, 2012
IME (have ich few times during Q period). Copper takes the shortest time (~10 - 14 days copper + 7-14 days observation). How did I setup is air stone, barebottom. Change water every 2 or 3 days as u dont have any filters..etc

During water change make sure u vaccum the bottom. U can see there are many white spot at the bottom if the bottom is black in color.

The tank I use is those cheap $29 all in one from BigW/KMart .

Make sure you add copper slowly.. different size / types of fish can handle different amount.
OK so Copper from LFS? Reef River Reptile in Hornsby?

malau

Oct 13, 2011
use seachem cupramine.

Here is the trick, you mark the water level in the tank.

IIRC 40L needs 16 drops (CHECK THE INSTRUCTION FIRST!!!!) ..

Lets say your water level is 30 L, so you need 3/4 x 16 = 12 drops.

Then when you do 1/3 water change, you just need to add 4 drops after water change.

Of course I suggest you 1) do not do full dose at once and 2) if it works before you full dose, keep the current level.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Cupramine.html

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
So I am thinking 2 of the 15L aquariums Put them in one till the ich drop off, then move them to the other 15L empty the first and wash it out. then after 1 week if there is nothing in tank 2 move back to the clean tank 1, and then clean tank 2. and keep doing this for 6 weeks...

What about my main nano 36? and the coral goby? do you think if I just move the clowns out that tank should be ok?
That's how it would work for the transfer method, yeah. Though I think you change tanks more often, every 3 days?

Your coral goby will have to go through the same process otherwise it could just carry the ich to transfer back to your fish.

However quickly you do the treatment (copper or transfer), your main tank needs to be fish free for 6-8 weeks ...

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks guys.

I will get another tank this afternoon and move my 3 fish over. The coral will be ok I am guessing and will leave my Nano empty for 6-8 weeks.

So as a general rule with this quarantine tank just water and powerhead? nothing else? Still feed them as normal? No filter of any kind? and water change 1/3rd every 3-4 days?

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Thanks guys.

I will get another tank this afternoon and move my 3 fish over. The coral will be ok I am guessing and will leave my Nano empty for 6-8 weeks.

So as a general rule with this quarantine tank just water and powerhead? nothing else? Still feed them as normal? No filter of any kind? and water change 1/3rd every 3-4 days?
First one, Yes.

2nd one. Here is what I do, I just put an airstone thats it. No powerhead, no filter.. (thats why I have to do the water change every 2-3 days). Feed them as normal however monitor if they refuse to eat and see if the ich is getting better.

Water change can be 1/3 or 1/2 up to you.

Since it is barebottm (I assume) you have to vaccum the bottom which you can see the white dot/sand like thing.. these are the white spot (one of the stage) and you have to remove them as much as possible (same reasons as you use "A / B tank" method)

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks all.

Unfortunantly Spike and Hoover have not made it. And Rocky has gone see through and is on the bottom of the tank but he does not seem good :(

I Will use this as an opportunity to start up my new bigger aquarium.

I feel that because of the small water quantity in the Nano it got too much for them, and moving them into a smaller tank was too little too late. Wow. Quick 2 days from noticing the white spot.

I appreciate peoples help. At least now I have the QT for next time... But hopefully will never need it.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sad to hear =0(

Mine was the same, by the time I got the QT tanks set up and transferred them they were not looking healthy, and didn't make it past a couple more days.

If you are setting up a new tank be aware that any rock or coral you transfer will carry the white spot, so still need to plan for 8 weeks without fish to be sure of a clean fresh start.

Nov 15, 2012
My plan is to leave the Nano setup running with water changes fortnightly till mid january. with no fish just LR and the coral and clean up crew. Might put a couple of shrimp in there. In the mean time I will setup new aquarium with another 10-12Kg of LR and Aragalive Fiji Pink. let the cycle begin.

Then mid Jan will move the LR from Nano and the cleanup crew and coral across to new aquarium, then see where we go from there.

I will prob by some more fish but get them to hold them at LFS for 6-8weeks and let them QT them for me. Thoughts?