Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Clown chasing chromis?
Hi All,

just bought two small (very small) blue/green chromis to add to my tank to try and help the single large blue/green chromis in there to stop hiding. The train of thought is that he is looking for a school and without one, is hiding all day long.

Problem is, my large (roughly 8cm long) clown is chasing them around a fair bit. Not constantly, but probably chases for 5 seconds every 40-50 seconds? The clown is not paired up yet and the only other fish in the tank is a lawnmower blenny. These are the first fish I have added since putting in the clown, the others are all very peaceful.

Is this normal or should I be worried and/or separate the clown?

Thanks in advance!
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Half an hour later, the Clown is still chasing the Chromis - but it does seem to be settling a little.... Big Chromis and lawnmower blenny acting like nothing has changed!
Sam

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
is normal territorial behaviour for the clown. Once dominance has been established, things should settle down. How is the other Chromis (original), has it perked up?

Do not separate as it is likely to prolong the aggression. Only separate if physical damage occurs. Chromis are very fast and can easily out-swim a clown, particularly if they are small and there are sufficient cracks for them to hide in

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the reply. The clown seems happy now, the new chomis had no problem getting food during feeding too.

The original large chromis is still hiding, came out for its usual feed, but is hiding again. Hoping over night or e coming week that will change? If anything, the two new chromis are following the clown around!
Sam

Bdear22

Feb 11, 2013
Newcastle
How big is your aquarium? I've heard that they need to be in schools at least 6, any less and the dominant one will pick them off

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
130 litres, I heard that any odd number is fine. Plus the two new ones are both very small - so shouldn't be a dominance struggle.
Sam

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
not sure if chromis are the same but often a new smaller fish can be even more aggressive as it feels more threatened.

My clowns chase anything that goes near their nem.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
not sure if chromis are the same but often a new smaller fish can be even more aggressive as it feels more threatened.

My clowns chase anything that goes near their nem.
the chromis don't defend a territory so are relatively peaceful. Only males guarding eggs become very aggressive!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Chromis are very peaceful, provided they are kept well fed. Very peaceful to other species and only minor aggression within a school to establish dominance (dominant fish become males and subordinate fish remain females). Best kept in odd numbers to reduce fighting. Only males guarding eggs are aggressive. In my tank, a male guarding eggs will easily drive away the tangs, coral beauty and any other fish that gets too close.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
New guys are still doing great, old fella still hiding in his cave... Hopefully different after a nights sleep.
Sam

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
As long as the big one is eating I would just see how it goes over time. I have 3 yellows in my tank and even after a couple of months are a bit shy but eat well and stay out when I'm not near the tank. If i go too close they hide a bit which sets off the foxface, the little yellow goby thinks thi sis great and darts out to see if he can have first go at the food...........lol a 2cm fish showing up a 13cm.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hey Les!

yeah mate - the larger chromis is eating just fine, that's about the only time he does show some dominance, when feeding... All are healthy and eating, so will just give them time. It's been a couple of weeks now, but they are making slow (very), slow progress.

Thanks,
Sam