Reef Discussion

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
Cloudy Eye Clownfish - Blind To Poor Vision
picked up 2 clowns over the weekend.

1 of the clown fish have developed cloudy eye in his right eye. i looked at there eye's when i got them i dont think he had it when purchased but not 100% sure. i dont think he can see out of it ether as when i put my hand up to the glass the other 1 runs away and he just stay there. but if facing the other way he reacts the same as the other 1. showing no signs of parasites or similar. looks very healthy and eats regularly.

im thinking its from been netted. i think my water quality is fine and there is no other tank mates to bully him.

gravity = 1.023
ammonia = 0 the blue plastic box idk the brand name.
nitrite = 0 sal
nitrate = 4ppm Sal and redsea.
phos = .04ppm hanna

want should i do to fit the problem if not blind already, never had this problem before. i am wondering that it is a sign of a secondary infection?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
he is starting to get pop eye......

nitrate has increased to 6ppm (slightly darker then yesterday)

what step should i take to cure him. cant find anything on the forum that wasn't made in like 2010.

im assuming the best curse of action would be a broad spectrum antibiotic.

but which 1 im not sure.

also what is a negative grain antibiotic?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Without knowing the actual cause of the problem it can be difficult to know what to do.

I am not going to be much help, sorry, as I haven't ever had to deal with something like this.

What I do know is that a healthy active fish in a well maintained environment can normally overcome most problems. Yours still looks pretty active so I would probably just keep an eye on it and see what develops.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Before you go dumping a shitload of antibiotcs in there check ammonia and nitrites. High nitrites can cause popeye.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
ok thank ammonia and nitrite is still 0. nirate is running at 4ppm did a wc over the weekend.

she still looks really healthy. eye is still cloudy and pop eye is still there. the pop eye isnt as extreme as some of the pics online but it is raised.

there hasn't been any charge in the eye since monday last week.

im currently gonna wait it out and see if it goes away by itself. if the fish gets worse do you know what medication that can be used to treat it?

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
:( clownfish has still not improved. the eye has grown 3 times the size. looks like a big ass pimple to be honest.

the fish is showing signs of distress. still active but not as much as before. he has dug a little hole on the sand bed that he sits in every so often and at night.

have been feeding 3 times a day and small wc every other day.

have been researching pop eye and im thinking about trying epsom salt. after reading this article.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clnfshdisart.htm

"Improved environment and nutrition. Adding Epsom Salt, Cleaner Organism/s may help"

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2352957

can u add it to a reef tank or does its has to be done in a QT tank. setting up my QT tank tonight so if he goes down hill ill get him in quick. and is the dose of 1tsp to 5 gallons ok?

id imagine its just gonna raise my magnesium no idea how that would help the fish or harm my reef tank?

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
It should be done in a quarantine tank. I have only ever encountered popeye 2 times and both were nitrite induced. I wish I could be of more help. Bob Fenner has been around a long time mate, he knows his shit! Make sure you match the water parameters before you add the Epsom salts.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
well set up the QT, calibrated the pram, got a new soft net, got the epson salt which was no easy feet. ran out of 100% reef safe's magnesium sulfate. so went to 3 supermarkets didn't have it. had to go to a pharmacy's to get a packet, next morning woke up, mixed up the epson salt in some ro water, checked the qt again its ready to put him in just had to check temp in the display.

go down stairs to the display tank, had a look at him and the swelling has gone down quite a bit overnight....:dead

super happy that its going away,,, touch wood, but very annoyed his desire to get better at the most inconvenient time..

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
her eye is now normal size. with no swelling at all however she is blind in that eye (cant really see a eye ball anymore). but i really doesn't effect her with eating and interacting this the environment so im hoping she will be ok, when i add more fish.

there is a large green BTA in there about 20cm in diam. but they haven't been very interested in it yet. it havent stopped moving since i put it in maybe when it stops moving they may host.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If they're tank raised clowns they may never host. M's percula clowns are tank raised, my Orange Skunks are wild. Mine very rarely stray from their ritteri, M's perculas are all over the tank and only sleep in the anemone.