Reef Discussion

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Clicking Noise In My Tank???
I've been hearing mysterious clicking noises in my reef tank for about 6 months now, but cannot find the source. I know it could be a mantis or pistol shrimp, but have found no evidence of them at all. Nothing has died except one hermit, so I thought it wouldn't be a shrimp. I do have a mithrax crab and another hermit in the tank currently; could these be the source of the clicks. The clicks occur in irregular bursts generally at nigh; sometimes 1 click and others 2,3,4 clicks. I have ruled out equipment and so for the life of me do not know what these stupid clicks are! Could anybody help? If it is a mantis or pistol how do I look out for it? What should I do to find the source of the clicks!

BlueBolts

Apr 7, 2014
Currambine
As you've deducted, it's not a mechanical sound due to the inconsistency if the clicks.....does sound like a mantis shrimp.....unsure of your tank size and other inhabitants, but you can try to place a pics of fresh fish/prawn around where you perceive the noice coming from when lights are off...and see whom grabs it's. Happy hunting :-)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Sounds exactly like my pistol shrimps. I have seen two in my tank, but I am sure there are more (one was put in there with a goby). They make the rapid clicking sound at night mostly but sometimes its just one click.
I really don't even notice the sound anymore unless there is a big burst of clicks.
I wouldn't even bother trying to find them. I have seen the hitch hiker shrimp twice in a year and a half and I see my other one that's paired with the goby about once a month.

I used to hear a lot of clicks some evenings in my old RSM250, and was really worried that I had a mantis, but I found one evening that it was my two hermit crabs having a bit of a "rumble" next to the glass, and the clicking noise was their shells tapping the glass. Once I knew where the clicks came from, I did see and hear this many times, so it doesn't have to be a mantis ;-)

Nov 15, 2012
I have a RSM130D and get the clicking. Pulled a mantis out. 3 mths later it was back. cant find another mantis but have found another blue swimmer (Baby) which I am yet to get out as he is a fast little bastard. and another black fury one. I reckon they are hitting the glass.

Cant get either out as they are at the back and in the rockwork.

Happy hunting though. chances are it will be a pistol/mantis/or unwanted crab.

Bonazz654

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks for the help guys.
I didn't hear the noise last night or the night before. I haven't been able to find the source for ages. Any other tips to try and find mantis/pistol shrimp? Also, the clicks are really quick or just 1 click. Could this mean a mantis or pistol? Also, if I put a pair of coral banded shrimp in there, would they be destroyed if it were a mantis or pistol?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have a mantis shrimp (on purpose) in a tank, seperate but attached to my main tank. I have had clicking noises in my tank for years and have always put it down to the mantis and or hermit crab and even a mandarin that used to peck the 'pods off the glass and make a click, however the hermits and mandarin have since left this mortal coil and the noises continue. I have noticed 2 distinctly different clicks and only one of them is my mantis and the other has been in my tank for years without being noticed!