Reef Discussion

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Cleaning Mishap!! Help!!
So I was doing my weekly water change and an arm of my blue cespitularia went up into the syphon!!

It didn't tare the coral or anything like that... that arm just looks a little deflated.

What should I do to ensure this doesn't hurt/kill the coral?!

AHHHH HOW ANNOYING!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Get out your scissors and snip it off and make a new frag , no even better , that piece you just cut off, chop it into three or put it in th blender and make a thousand new Xenia clones , and that's no one word of a lie. OMG!!!

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Get out your scissors and snip it off and make a new frag , no even better , that piece you just cut off, chop it into three or put it in th blender and make a thousand new Xenia clones , and that's no one word of a lie. OMG!!!
Way to steal my thunder damn it!!! :D I was gonna say that it could go through a powerhead and you'd end up with 11,000,000,000,000 new Cespitularia, lol. The only things that I know of that will kill or maim Cespitularia or Xenia is large angels, high temps or low alkalinity.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was doing a water change a while back and I accidentally sucked a xenia stalk out. I didn't notice it laying out on the driveway till later on, so I put it back in the tank with a rock holding it down. It continued to grow like a weed lol

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
*swaggers in*

I siphon up bits of my corals all the time. You gotta teach them respect. "Yo, Xenia! Did I say you could pulse?" BAM! Xenia punished.

Duncan giving you lip? BAM! Siphon that little mofo!!

Hammer giving you a hard time? BAM! "Ain't nobody got time to move yo stony ass!"

You see what I'm sayin'?

Ain't nobody got time to deal with sulky corals. Word.

(In all seriousness, I've done it a few times and after an initial heart-attack, they recover pretty fast :p)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
One of the people I respect most in the marine arena once told me that if you kill Xenia to sell off everything and put an axe through your tank, lol. Like I've said before, about the only thing that will kill it is low alkalinity. If your Xenia is sulky, time to check your alkalinity.

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I'm pleased to say it is FINE.

I don't know if it just holding back the tears but it looks great, it's like NOTHING ever happened.

Thanks for all the reassurance guys and @Ranibranch for that great post. I think I need to harden up a bit. Tonight I am going to microwave my hammer. Show him who is boss.

E

ezza

Way to steal my thunder damn it!!! :D I was gonna say that it could go through a powerhead and you'd end up with 11,000,000,000,000 new Cespitularia, lol. The only things that I know of that will kill or maim Cespitularia or Xenia is large angels, high temps or low alkalinity.
And me :D I can't keep the stuff alive!!!

Oh and @Dean Lovett, I once siphoned a wrasse out from under the sand and straight up the tube. He lived to tell the tale and they're less hardy than Xenia!

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Heh, you remind me of me when I started in this hobby. Every little thing made me fucking panicked as hell.

It's alright, that coral is a soft coral and as such, is practically indestructible.