Reef Discussion

chris B

Dec 14, 2011
Liberty Grove
Cleaner Crew
As my tank is still going through its normal cycle, i have been looking at adding cleaning crew to the tank, but not sure about certain ones in the tank, i would like to know what people have kept and which has worked and which ones hasnt worked,

1, Peppermint Shrimp or close to it
2. Star Fish - currently have red star fish small
3. Snails
4. Crabs

also what do they feed on and how to maintan them as well.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
peppermint shrimp are as great little cleaners but don't expect to see them out on the rocks surfaces

Star fish are best kept in the ocean

Snails are the backbone of your cuc. turbos, ceriths are great for the rockwork/glass strombs are usually the best for substrate but need a decent area. I tend to stay away from trocus.

Only good crab is served with chilli sauce

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
most people add turbos in the beginning firstly because their small size, they breed like crazy and you can start out with 10 and by the time you add your first fish and corals a few months down the track you have a large enough population to deal with the waste.

Remember they are organism that produce bioload as well, they just are more tolerant of a wide range of conditions.

Strombs are best introduced once once there is enough for them to eat off only the substrate

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
dont fuck around with crabs, fuck them never buy one, it willl destroy everything, i just got a massssssive snail cant remember what one it is but its been in for only like a day and everything just looks alot cleaner espescially the glass, get a little hermit crab or a few they r good for the rockwork