Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
Clam Vs Bristle Worms
NOT SURE IF THIS IS TRUE BUT DO BRISTLE WORMS KILL CLAMS OR WOULD THE CLAM BE DEAD FOR THEM TO EAT IT

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Mine ate my clam. However this was after I dropped a frag plug on it and it was already looking bleached when I got it (was hoping to recover it from that). The plug damaged the mantle a little.... nek minnit, clam chowder :(

Ymmv though.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I am of the view that bristle worms are primarily scavengers and will not attack living things - others may disagree.

So, they will certainly clean up a dead clam but I don't believe that they would damage a healthy one. I had a number of large bristle worms (30cm +) in a prior tank and they never caused any harm to my clam.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I am of the view that bristle worms are primarily scavengers and will not attack living things - others may disagree.
Ditto, scavengers such as ants, flies etc will move in on a dying animal before its dead, I think bristleworms are no different.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yea, I went down tot he 240 one night as the lights were coming on to see the little bastard on top of the clam ripping it to shreds. It was a stupid shrimp too, stayed there till I got a net and snagged him out.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
And tell the nice folks in Australia what happened to Mr. Shrimpy Rob.

Well, the Queen trigger had a damn tasty snack that night, bastard shrimp! :mad:

Boxermom

Nov 10, 2014
Yea, I went down tot he 240 one night as the lights were coming on to see the little bastard on top of the clam ripping it to shreds. It was a stupid shrimp too, stayed there till I got a net and snagged him out.

Worst part was that we got that clam for a STEAL!! The LFS sold it to us as a flame scallop, so instead of paying over $100 for it, we got it for $15.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
I have always had hitchhiker bristleworms (2 that are getting quite big, 10cm + in my little nano) and they don't like to stray far from their piece of live rock.

Never bothered my clam, had it for 18 months now.

Although I have suspected that they are the ones picking off my turbo snails,I just found a dead light orange crab this morning, so I am hoping he was the culprit instead.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I wouldn't be surprised if it was found that the "bristle worms" attacking living organisms are actually Eunice worms - those things are horrific
Had a small one in a coral once