Reef Discussion

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Clam footing
Last night I noticed my small 5-6cm squamosa has footed itself to the rocks only problem is its ones sideways ....... If its not getting enough light it'll detach and move itself yes ? Also is there a way I can locate it up on the rock work ? As I have a perfect plateau for it but dunno how to get it to stay there as its on a slight angle so it won't just rest by itself....

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
If it's not getting enough light, it will detach itself, I'd strongly advise against attempting to detach the clam unless you are very confident you know what you're doing. Damage to the byssus can be fatal.

firechild

Nov 8, 2011
Cromer, Sydney
No, you can't attach it (with glue, putty or similar), you have to allow it to attach itself. You could use another object (pipe offcut or whatever) to attempt to hold it in place if you want it to attach somewhere but there is a possibility it will not attach if it is not happy there or it may detach after you remove the object that was supporting it before it attached.

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Damn thought maybe I could glue it like a coral :( oh well sand it is I don't mind it there but the place i was thinking would look better

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
squamosa will usually end up in same beds once they are bigger no matter what you do, maxima and croceas are the ones to get if you want them to stay on your rocks long term