Reef Discussion

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
yes acro al

his response to me

Well I would be silly helping someone start up against me ;-)

not being supportive of the industry at all rather disappointing

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
yes acro al
his response to me
Well I would be silly helping someone start up against me ;-)
not being supportive of the industry at all rather disappointing
Yeah, not great and a bit selfish but at the same rate it's a fairly understandable response given that he's the only one able to do it and do it so well. Until a few others are capable of doing it there's not going to be any love shared.

Your best bet if you're looking for information on it all is to find some of the large farms that are mariculturing clams. Ask them, as there's far more of that happening and you'll be far more likely to get some helpful info from them, don't expect trade secrets though as you are going to be seen as competition anywhere you ask but going outside of Australia to the large farms will be your best bet. Also get your hands on this book: "Giant clams in the ocean and aquarium" as it's one of my favourite books and has some great info in it!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think Al is presenting at MACNA this year - he might provide some insite into his work, but I doubt he will be giving away any secrets.

E

ezza

Reading the info there on the Fisheries webpage, it makes it fairly clear that the government have facilitated the program, trained the companies who have taken over the aquaculturing and generally oversee the whole thing due to the precarious nature of the population of wild clams. They are trying to provide the Indigenous owners of the land with work etc.

In a nutshell, I would say that it's probably not even financially affordable for anyone without mortgaging their house. You would argue that the person doing the job either has a degree in Marine Biology or effectively such a level of knowledge of molluscs.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Yes he is the first in the world to do this on a comercial scale in a closed loop system. He gets info from Hawaii, and some mariculture places in indo. I know there was some major issues getting permits and the relevant paperwork to sell on a large scale. If you are looking at doing this getting the paperwork sorted would be the best bet.

BlakeyBoyR

Aug 5, 2014
Any company has the right to patent an invention and maintain sole rights to that invention for a set number of years. Al has only recently mastered this process and in my opinion, deserves the right to secure his intellectual property (the 'how to') until he makes back the time and money he's injected into this.
He's the only one in the world doing it AFAIK which means he's the only one that's put so much on the line to make it happen. It was a nightmare for him to get Government approval. Ask him to see his big folder of paper work. It's a telephone book of red tape just to do what he's doing. He has a variety of different commitments to meet and parties he has to satisfy.
I'm sure once he's financially viable and has secured his future so to speak, he'll be happy to spread the knowledge.