Off-Topic

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I could make a jam/jelly know any good recipes?
Found a good Malasian sambal recipe that looked good.

I haven't seen any of the John West sauces, I'll keep an eye out for the chipotle
Oops, i was meaning the Tuna range, sorry!

Sambal is super easy...

Chilli's, echallots/shallot/onion, garlic (Optional), lime juice, fish sauce, oil.

Dice the chilli/onion of choice and throw in blender with oil/water, pulse until a coarse/chunky paste. Add garlic/ime juice/fish sauce, then heat oil in a pan, throw in the mix and cook on med until bubbling away nicely. Cook it until the colour goes from bright red to a soft red with brown/orange tones. Adjust taste with lime/fish sauce to suit.

You could throw in some sugar too if needed..... but may as well make nuoc mam then! :p

Ive used this one before ( https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam ), with hotter chilli, i liked it. But i tend to tweak recipies a lot :D

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Oops, i was meaning the Tuna range, sorry!

Sambal is super easy...

Chilli's, echallots/shallot/onion, garlic (Optional), lime juice, fish sauce, oil.

Dice the chilli/onion of choice and throw in blender with oil/water, pulse until a coarse/chunky paste. Add garlic/ime juice/fish sauce, then heat oil in a pan, throw in the mix and cook on med until bubbling away nicely. Cook it until the colour goes from bright red to a soft red with brown/orange tones. Adjust taste with lime/fish sauce to suit.

You could throw in some sugar too if needed..... but may as well make nuoc mam then! :p

Ive used this one before ( https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chilli-jam ), with hotter chilli, i liked it. But i tend to tweak recipies a lot :D
Haha I thought u might have meant tuna! but for some reason my mind was on chili sauce.

Wicked, think I'll do a sambal. The one you made just looks so good I have to try it!

I'll throw a photo up when I make it!

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
@ReeferRob with the thread revival!

And what a good one too! :D

Have to admit, i was somewhat unimpressed with the Reapers i grew last year. Not that hot.... then again, i dont think i have much tatse buds/pain receptors left in my mouth what with all the chilli i consume......

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
All those exotic hot peppers bring to the table is heat, they bring no flavor. I'd rather have some of my heirloom Jalapenos, chili d'arbos or Thai chilis. What I like to do is grill them them, squeeze lime juice on them with either cypress flake salt or a good smoked sea salt. A good margarita goes well with them.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
All those exotic hot peppers bring to the table is heat, they bring no flavor. I'd rather have some of my heirloom Jalapenos, chili d'arbos or Thai chilis. What I like to do is grill them them, squeeze lime juice on them with either cypress flake salt or a good smoked sea salt. A good margarita goes well with them.
I'm gonna have to try that for sure!

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Damn you @ReeferRob , now my mouth is watering!

Although not hot at all, im really really into chipotle tobasco at the moment. Have managed to make a pretty similar sauce (its been going on everything of late!) Mmmmmm chipotle!!!!! *insert homer drooling*

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I do a smoked pepper sauce that's off the hook. I use Tabasco, jalapenos and bird's eye peppers in it. I don't know if Cypress flake salt is available down there, but it's damn good salt, it has a higher calcium content.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I grew habeneros and thought they were really hot until I read the stats about the hottest chillies out there. But for the sake of Uranius, I am very happy with the taste and heat from Habeneros. They're quite fruity imo.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Some of the exotics are just stupid hot. The Carolina Reapers, Skorpions and Bhut Jolokias are just terrible, all they bring is heat with no flavour. My peppers are in full swing right now, should be a good year, we've had rain weekly since the start of the season. I don't care what anyone says, Mother Nature's water is the best.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I grew Bhuts and Habs right next to each other once. I swear to this day, the Habs were WAY hotter than the Bhut.

That said, i really dont like the flavour of Habs. The heat from most off the shelf Habs is enough to warm the mouth, not super hot though (well, not as hot as i like it).

Aji Limon, Chipotle, Bangalore Whippets are up there with my other favs for flavour :)

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I grew Bhuts and Habs right next to each other once. I swear to this day, the Habs were WAY hotter than the Bhut.

That said, i really dont like the flavour of Habs. The heat from most off the shelf Habs is enough to warm the mouth, not super hot though (well, not as hot as i like it).

Aji Limon, Chipotle, Bangalore Whippets are up there with my other favs for flavour :)
I swear you have a lead mouth mate! Habaneros are plenty hot for me.
I got given a birds eye chili bush as an engagement pressie earlier in the year, need to add a couple others to the mix though. Will be interested to see how they go on the balcony in the new place.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Keep those Bird's eye chilis watered if you don't want a hole burnt in your mouth. If they dry out, holy shit do those little bastards get hot.

@lukusis Keep those two separate, they cross pollinate at will and you can get the opposite heat out of them mate. I've made that mistake before.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
One year I planted my haberneros next to my cherry peppers, never did that again either, lol. My crushed red cherry pepper relish was a tad on the hot side. :dead

You should be getting ready to plant down there soon, we have about 6 more weeks of growing here. I'll pick up my Bird's Eye peppers and bring them into the greenhouse for a month after that.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
You should be getting ready to plant down there soon, we have about 6 more weeks of growing here. I'll pick up my Bird's Eye peppers and bring them into the greenhouse for a month after that.
Yeah i have a few germinating presently (still pretty warm here considering its mid winter!) on a heat mat.

Wish i had the room for a greenhouse!

Mixed some Kechup Manis in with Hab sauce the other day, pleasantly surprised by that one.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yeah i have a few germinating presently (still pretty warm here considering its mid winter!) on a heat mat.

Wish i had the room for a greenhouse!

Mixed some Kechup Manis in with Hab sauce the other day, pleasantly surprised by that one.
Building a greenhouse is easy and they don't have to be huge. For a family you could make one a metre square. You can grow a whole lot of food in a small space like that. I started out using old window glass, you can find a lot of it cheap on online from old windows people have removed from their houses. I don't know which ones you have down there, up here it's Craigslist.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Building a greenhouse is easy and they don't have to be huge. For a family you could make one a metre square. You can grow a whole lot of food in a small space like that. I started out using old window glass, you can find a lot of it cheap on online from old windows people have removed from their houses. I don't know which ones you have down there, up here it's Craigslist.
Oh, id have no issue making a greenhouse (carpentry background), its just that i live in a apartment with no space for one! :p