Off-Topic

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
I have basil, parsly and some cactus. I will get a chilli though, just so I can be part of this thread.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
@MQ-9 everyone is welcome, chilli's or otherwise! :)

I should have made it a gardening thread instead :p

Think I'll try making a chutney/jam or even a jelly from the next crop. Mmm yum!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Since you allowed it - a pic of my niece's new indoor plant we potted up today - a Zanzibar Gem. We divided it off my plant. It can be grown in dark corners as well as bright ones and prefers to be dried out completely between waterings.

IMAG0800.jpg

I went with a soilless potting mix we made out of sphagnum moss, perlite and vermiculite. Top dressed with black pebbles to keep the moisture in and some Osmocote.

Can you believe those butterflies cost 5 bucks each and were right next to the checkout at Bunnings, damn them! I wanted her to get 1, she wanted 3.

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I see you compromised there :)
Of course, she's a bit cute so what can you do.

With those chilli seeds you were saying don't germinate well - you could try soaking them in digestive enzymes that you can get at the chemist to break down the seed coating before sowing them. That or feed them to a chook and collect the manure :)

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Good tip, I'll give that a crack next time! Thanks :)

Going to have a go at some bangalore whippets next, they look like a nice one.

I've also started using rhubarb for a pest repellent. Working well so far!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
@MQ-9 everyone is welcome, chilli's or otherwise! :)

Think I'll try making a chutney/jam or even a jelly from the next crop. Mmm yum!
Would love to see the outcome if you do!
I made a jalapeno/tomato relish and a habanero chilli sauce last season and they were great.
Need to pick up a few more varieties for this season.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I'm smack in the middle of the harvest right now. I usually trade a bag of fresh jalapenos to the Mexican restaurant down the street for dinner. They grill a few for us and we all sit around and see who can eat the most before they start to sweat. Haberneros have been shit this year as well as my exotics, too damn wet. I need to dry it out before I harvest anymore jalapenos because they're seriously lacking in the kick department. :(

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
hahaha sounds likie my kinda thing @ReeferRob !

My Jolokias this year are a little hotter than previously, but for some reason the habs still have more punch. Have some Carolina reaper seedlings germinating at the moment, pretty keen to bite into one of these :D

@Mattres i ended up making a sambal from most of the fruit i had

ai449.photobucket.com_albums_qq214_lukusis_Chillis_202014_IMG_00000139_edit_zpsvy6prv2p.jpg

(Excuse the mess, my little brother 'helped' pouring it in the jar :P )

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If you like peppers with a kick, plant your jalapenos near some Scotch Bonnets. You WILL NOT be lacking in heat. It makes them sneaky hot because the Scotch Bonnets are sweet peppers, it sneaks up from behind and chokes your ass out if your not careful, lol.

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I think that's why the habs are hotter than the Jolokias. They are right next to each other and I hand pollinate, so definitely some heat leant therein.

I LOVE me some slow creeping heat :D

A straight shot.of heat is fun.sometimes, but a slow creep building and building is awesome!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
@lukusis oh man that sambal looks insane, will have to keep that in mind when i decide what to make.

ATM I'm hoping my plants have survived the winter and will show some new growth very soon now its getting a bit warmer.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
How's everyone's chilis doing?
I had a bad year, habaneros didn't make it through winter, jalapeños new growth sprouted quite late and never had many fruit. Bought 3 seedlings, a cayenne that has done okay, a hungarian black that my lovely pup has decided needs a prune every coulple weeks and so has struggled to grow, and a manzano that the same pup decided didn't belong in the ground.
Have enough fruit from all the plants to make something just not sure what yet.
When the missus and I move into our new place in 4-5 months there's a community garden across the road that I can't wait to get a plot and load up with chilis!

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
I have nada atm *sad panda*

Ive been substituting the above with Woolies ENTIRE range of "hot' sauces (or, 'not at all' hot sauces).

Even Blairs isnt hot enough...... must have damaged my brain at some point lol

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
@Mattres chilli jam/jelly?

Has anyone tried the John West limited edition range yet?

Sriracha - prefer them separate.
Jalapeno - kind of ...... meh. Unremarkable....
Chipotle - i really like this one for some reason, has a nice flavor.
Inferno - the fireman must have extinguished this BEFORE it went into the can "/

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
@Mattres chilli jam/jelly?

Has anyone tried the John West limited edition range yet?

Sriracha - prefer them separate.
Jalapeno - kind of ...... meh. Unremarkable....
Chipotle - i really like this one for some reason, has a nice flavor.
Inferno - the fireman must have extinguished this BEFORE it went into the can "/
I could make a jam/jelly know any good recipes?
Found a good Malasian sambal recipe that looked good.

In the past week I've had more flowers pop up on the plants than I've had all season.. Hopefully get a haul before winter hits!

I haven't seen any of the John West sauces, I'll keep an eye out for the chipotle