Reef Discussion

Chiller, what to get.....?
Hi all,

Trying to decide on which chiller to get for my new system. My new system will be roughly 1800-2000L all up as my current system will be plumbed into the new sump. The ones I am down to are the following.

- Hailea 1000, rated to 2000L tank maximum
- Hailea 2000, also rated to 2000L tank maximum. Not sure why this is 2HP and has simular specs to the 1000A, any one put one of these on an energy meter to see watts drawn..?
- Aqua-Medic Titan 2000, these look good rated to 2000L also and cost double and a half more than the Hailea in Australia. seems to be better on energy.

Also noted the Hailea's are supposed to be built on the same line as the Aqua-Medic with same to simular components used.

The chiller I am leaning to is the Hailea 2200BH but don't want to get this if it has the same cool down specs as the 1000A, and uses double the power. I just wish Hailea would have decent specs sheets.

Thanks in advance,
Pete.

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Hi mate Im selling my Hailea 1000, only 4 months old only, selling for $599, check out my sales thread :D

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
The 2200BH has a much faster pulldown and is factory underrated. They're designed primarily for aquaculture and that sort of thing ;)

I already have the 1000A arrived 2 days ago, if it doesn't perform I will more than likely get a Teco TR3000 or along those lines. But the 1000A should be fine.

Originally I was going to get an aqua-medic from Seawatec worked out at about $1200 Aus shipped ($2400 locally bought) but since the Hailea is "supposed" to be almost the same chiller I figured I would try the cheaper Hailea.

I do plan on making the tanks be in a fish room of there own so I guess this will help with heating and cooling..

n0rk

Aug 10, 2011
Brisbane
Definitely, properly insulating your room can make a world of difference. Are you going to install the chiller outside?

I am going to install the chiller outside the room at the start and hopefully outside the house in the end. Will have to see putting it outside will not be too hard just has to go through a double brick wall.