Reef Discussion

Chiller Malfunction
the guy who i bought my 6ft off gave me a chiller
he said and showed me pictures of the chiller saying E1 on the display
does anyone know what this might mean ?
im thinking thermostat is broken...
does anyone know how much this might cost to fix?
or replace thermostat? ive had a lCD panel and thermostat
replaced on my current chiller of which got with my last tank ahah
all suggestions welcomed thanks
Tim
IMG_2028.JPG

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
C0500 looks like an older model - any indications of how old on it, and did the seller mention the last time the refrigerant was topped up in it? That might be the cause of the error, or it may just be something else that you might need to expect when you get it looked at.

Good luck!

I reckon you should link your TJ in your signature too - looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Yeah still working out how to do that :)
might be a far way off on the tank getting wet tho
im in grade 12 and my dad is like finish grade 12
before i start messing around with another tank ahah
not sure about the age of the chiller or about the refrigerant in it ?
do you know who i could take it to , to look in it ?
thanks

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
A few searches suggest that the model is probably a good part of a decade old, so it's a fair bet (especially if you're in a northern state) that it's done a fair bit of work.
I don't own a chiller yet, but it was suggested to someone else with the same problem on a different forum a few years ago.

It might turn into being some minor little problem too - it's a bit hard to tell. You'd really need to find somewhere familiar with them that could have a look and quote you on the work involved (this may also have a labour charge attached to it if you don't proceed).
No ideas on anywhere to take it - I'd suggest perhaps looking in the phone book for places local that handle refrigerator repairs and ring around and ask if anyone of them have any experience with aquarium chillers. You may get lucky and find someone that's familiar with them, or is otherwise happy to have a look.
I'd also suggest getting an idea of what a suitable new unit would cost, or a working second hand unit, then take those costs into consideration before considering repair.
When it comes to older gear, you need to consider not only the cost of repair, but the likely life of the device even after repair. The more it costs relative to the older the device, the higher the risk involved in repair compared to replacement.

If it turns out to be something that gets fixed for $50, then you're laughing. If you're told it might be a few hundred dollars, then you probably need to consider whether or not you're not better off saving some extra cash and buying new (er). Obviously that all depends on your own circumstances, and ability to save that sort of money, but it's something for you to consider.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
If ya lucky, and find someone local, then it's always a plus. Having to send stuff away just get quoted tends to add a lot of cost to things - especially when for the sake of a couple of phone calls and asking the question you might get somewhere close.

Good luck with it! Glad to see you've got your TJ linked now too.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Does the unit work at all? What happpens when its turned on? A bit more detail about what happens and I might be able to help you out.

Most if not all refrigeration companies should be able to help you out. A chiller is just a fridge at the end of the day and there is really not a lot to them.

Having said that I work for a company that services a lot of space heaters and I know that repairs can become economically un-feasible very quickly if you have any major probs, but i wouldnt mind betting that its just a re-gas and away you go.