Reef Discussion

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Cheapish Ats
This is another product I have been looking at building or buying. Building it out here in oz is almost as expensive as buying one pre made. I finally found a pre made product which is not as expensive though I have no idea how good or bad it is . I have asked the seller for postage and if I buy it will share my findings. Anyways if anyone else is interested this is it

http://www.marinemagic-online.com/?product=double-algae-skimmer

If anyone is using this or has any comments, I would be keen to hear. I just found one thread somewhere which had mixed point of views

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Actually on second thoughts, the unit seems tad small with only 1 watt bulbs rated at 1/2 cube of frozen food per day... Not sure if that will meet my needs ..Oh well time to keep looking then

Maddclimb

Jun 11, 2018
Does it really cost about the same diy? I was hoping to attempt a diy ats for my new tank... :(

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Well I should have qualified that DIY statement. It costs nearly the same if you want an enclosed acrylic box with decent LEDs . If you use a bunnings plastic container with CFL bulbs then it is quite cheap but will take a few attempts to get it right I would say. Santa Monica systems and Turbo are the most well known but they cost 400 US before shipping and I am of Indian origin so spending is not my strong point :-D :-D

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Well after looking at a lot of options I am biting the bullet on this one

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THE-SEABREEZE-ACU-ALGAE-SCRUBBER-WITH-RED-BLUE-GROW-LIGHTS/222988252459?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=68a422d8f4cb49d686ab6e3994ee4bfa&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=222988252459&itm=222988252459&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:b9bae0b8-7040-11e8-b656-74dbd180257c|parentrq:0131b85d1640ab4515c6c961fffa83ca|iid:1

Reports are mixed but the only major issue maybe that the LEDs are weak. Well for 300 AUD delivered to my house with custom size for my tank as I have a RSM-500 with very little sump space..I am happy to take the risk. Worst case scenario I will add in a heat sink and LEDs for 70-80 bucks , still a lot cheaper than the two major players. Should take about a month to get to me and another month or so to see some results. I will post bank my findings . If it takes GFO use out of the pic, added with no carbon dosing it shopuld pay itself off in a year

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
All right, as promised, here are some pics. At this stage I do not regret my purchase and am happy to recommend this to anyone looking for an ATS. A word of advice, plan exactly where you are going to mount it and how you will connect it and tell the seller to make any mods you need upfront

Pros-
Very well built
Can customise, I got a lip added to hang it on my red sea 500 max sump and water outlet on the side instead of the bottom as I dont have space to place it just above the sump. I do not think the bigger guys will do this
Cheap

Cons
Lid is warping a bit after about 10 days, cosmetic issue doesnt impact performance can be fixed by keeping something heavy on top
Lights may be weak.. time will tell though seller will not add in better lights even at extra cost but easy enough to upgrade the lights
Plumbing fittings are from UK, hard to match from bunnings
The screen is not pre roughed

Overall I must say I am happy. I did not do my homework so had to change the plan after I recvd it. Now it is mounted externally about 5 feet high from the ground so had to use a large pump to compensate. Had to cut a hole at the bottom for main drain. Now it has a main from the bottom and an aux from the side. Got decent growth in the first week so it should work good but I will post results after a couple of months and my final thoughts

Attachments