Reef Discussion

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Chad Vossen Larvae Traps On Sale!!
For all you breeders out there - Larvae Traps!

** These are currently on sale at over 50% off - while stocks last!! **

$30 each :D

* Postage = $10 for one and $5 for each additional trap thereafter. This is for Aus Post regular (non-registered) post *

These sleek, moulded traps are a must-have when it comes to the (usually) tedious task of collecting fry/larvae from your main tank.

Forget staying up all night trying to lure the bubs into suitable moving vessel! These all-in-one units do all the work for you, attracting the fry/larvae into one convenient place while you focus on catching some Zzzz

They come with suction cups to affix the trap to the inside of your tank, and a light to attract the fry. With the use of an air pump, the fry/larvae are gently moved from within your main tank into the confined safety of the trap, while the fine mesh allows water transfer to and from.

Embark on your breeding journey today!

Purchase yours HERE :D (Postage will automatically calculate with the more expensive "express" option, but we can manually override this if requested once your order is placed)

acdn2.bigcommerce.com_n_pktq5q_37uiy8_products_106_images_313_421666b154e8ec6385132a31f35bea85.jpg

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Hi MQ-9 :)
They work best for species that are attracted to light as larvae/fry. ie Clownfish, or shrimp larvae. (There are many other species which will swim towards light as newly hatched bubs, but I am far from an expert so couldn't tell you any past the common ones.)
If you've read in your travels that Blue Tangs will swim towards the light as juvies, then you're set :)
Sorry that wasn't much help!!
Bek :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is a great product and one that I highly recommend. I have successfully used it for peppermint shrimp larvae but it can also be used for clownfish larvae etc.

@MQ-9 - the trap can be used to collect any larvae that are attracted to light. Your blue tangs may be mating, but all you will be able to initially collect is fertilised eggs from the water surface using a cup etc - they won't hatch into larvae for a few days.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Can I ask if you need to leave your circulation pumps off when this is running?
Yes - this trap uses an airpump and an uplift tube to create a water flow into the trap. This flow is not strong as the larvae are easily damaged and any internal circulation pumps would disrupt this flow - you might collect a few but you would be lucky to get any significant numbers.

You might be able to continue to run your return pump providing the trap was placed away from the outlet and in a very low flow area.

Also, the larvae are not strong swimmers and would easily get sucked into any internal pumps..

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I wonder if this would work with my marine glass shrimp - they're always breeding but the larvae don't survive because they need to travel up into brackish-fresh water to develop then travel back to salt. If i collected them, i could slowly acclimatize them to fresher and fresher water til they're shrimplets. I'd only do it the once, just to see if i can. Coz i suspect it would be a time consuming task :-/
I'm interested to see how MQ-9s Tangs go :D

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Where would I be without you @MagicJ ?? lol

Yep. We recommend that people turn their pumps off, but in saying that, we've successfully collected shrimp larvae (blood, pepp, coral banded) while the return pumps were still on. We just had it away from direct flow :) (We didn't have wavemakers in those tanks)

@MichelleShocked - it's a bit of an outlay for you to just try it the once :/ It would definitely assist you in getting them out easily enough though - assuming the bubs are attracted to the light?

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Where would I be without you @MagicJ ?? lol

Yep. We recommend that people turn their pumps off, but in saying that, we've successfully collected shrimp larvae (blood, pepp, coral banded) while the return pumps were still on. We just had it away from direct flow :) (We didn't have wavemakers in those tanks)

@MichelleShocked - it's a bit of an outlay for you to just try it the once :/ It would definitely assist you in getting them out easily enough though - assuming the bubs are attracted to the light?
Well i was thinking of using it for clowns as well but the shrimp I'd try just for curiositys sake.

Fragalicious

Oct 23, 2013
Sunbury
Do you have any spare of the suction cup lights for sale, as my old one needs replacing.
Sorry @midjim but we were never sent any suction cups as replacements.
You should be able to purchase some either online (eBay etc) or perhaps a hardware store. Even some LFSs sell a variety of suction cups :)
It's important to remove them by breaking the seal in a small spot along the outer edge rather than pulling bc that can limit their lifespan
HTH :)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
MQ-9 those eggs should float pretty well, that's how they're culturing them in Fiji, collecting the eggs after a spawn. You might want to slow your return pumps and put some fine mesh over the overflow until you've collected the eggs.