Reef Discussion

E

ezza

Caulerpa Cactoides
I appear to have Caulerpa cactoides on my live rock. It's been slowly growing for a while. I guessed it was Caulerpa of some kind and googled and found an identical specimen on the DPI website...

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/pests-diseases/marine-pests/nsw/caulerpa-taxifolia

So what I want to know is, do I take it out and dispose of it (freeze it and burn it), or should I leave it? I have never seen a fish eat it. It's beginning to extend itself along a runner so I feel I need to deal with it soon.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Sounds like it's best to get rid of it - your water changes may put the spores into the waterways or something as suggested on the website.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Given that you reside in NSW, my reading of that link indicates that :
It is illegal to possess or sell the alga; fines of up to $11,000 apply. The noxious listing also provides NSW DPI with the power to seize and destroy Caulerpa, or require its destruction.
Doesn't that answer your question ?

E

ezza

Given that you reside in NSW, my reading of that link indicates that :

Doesn't that answer your question ?
Yes it does indeed. I didn't put it there! I was already planning to remove it. Being that people seem to keep varieties of Caulerpa in their sumps I wasn't certain about how people rationalise keeping this stuff etc etc blah blah blah. I'm the last person to do anything illegal @MagicJ :( I swear it just grew there!

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yes it does indeed. I didn't put it there! I was already planning to remove it. Being that people seem to keep varieties of Caulerpa in their sumps I wasn't certain about how people rationalise keeping this stuff etc etc blah blah blah. I'm the last person to do anything illegal @MagicJ :( I swear it just grew there!
It's a weird contradiction isn't it? I've got a few varieties in mine as well. Perhaps it's only that particular variety...

E

ezza

Yeah it is interesting. Also interesting is that my rock is meant tone from the keppell islands and the primary known location of this particular species of Caulerpa is apparently in WA. So either the weed has spread since the map I saw was drawn, or the rock ain't from QLD. Who knows. It would be relevant for authorities if it had spread to qld and it wasn't known.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yeah it is interesting. Also interesting is that my rock is meant tone from the keppell islands and the primary known location of this particular species of Caulerpa is apparently in WA. So either the weed has spread since the map I saw was drawn, or the rock ain't from QLD. Who knows. It would be relevant for authorities if it had spread to qld and it wasn't known.
or was mixed in with a bunch of other rock from other places and it's just spread... who knows.

E

ezza

Yes, certainly. The next conundrum is how to get it off the rock given I am very short, and it is on a flat rock at the bottom of the tank. I might get the 6 foot ladder out tomorrow and put on my shoulder length K&J Aquariums gloves to pick it off

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I understood that it grew up from some live rock that you had :)

Keep in mind that laws are generally made to control a small percentage of the population that do stupid things, to the detriment of the majority.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I'll buy it from you - $50.

Need to add a little spice to reefing sometimes ... buying and distributing an illegal algae sounds risque :D

E

ezza

Indeed you can. Though perhaps there are too many risks what with proximity to zoanthids and all... (I wouldn't really anyhoo)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Before you get rid of it do me a favour & have a close look at it - on the actual 'leaf' itself are the little tiny leaves exactly opposite or alternate to each other? I would love to get some T. mexicana if some ever crops up in someone's tank, so I always ask :) That sp. isn't illegal but is very similar in appearance

E

ezza

No, the leaves of Mexicans have little points at the tips. This is well rounded.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
hmm, maybe C. mexicana isn't the species I was thinking of, my description is still the same one I'm looking for though. I'll have to find the name.