Reef Discussion

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Canister Filter
Dont kill me right away.

Ok so when I bought my redsea max 250 he had a 301 fluval canister filter running on it which i got for free,

I haven't used it since buying tank.

NOW thoughts why cant I clean and modify the canister filter and run it as an algae reactor, so internally would be just 2 filter pads and LEDs to grow macro algae to lower nitrate and phosphate.

I dont think I can run a sump as cant drill my tank and internal reactors can only be a max of 3.5inch wide so not big at all, so if I can use the canister filter as an external reactor it would be a nice large volume and conveniently out of the way.

Thought???

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
With LEDs I thought can

A. drill hole on side of canister feed led strip in and silicone it up.

Or

B. Cut large hole in base of canister and put a clear one end tube inside and silicone it in. Then place LEDs inside of tube.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Fill your canister with Siporax and watch your Nitrate and Phosphate drop.
You will need to start dosing Nitrate and Phosphate ( first world problems ehh )
My 10 liters Siporax could reduce 50 ppm Nitrate to 0 ppm overnight.
No need for modifications or toying around with leds, just good old fashion aquarium technology that’s been around for decades.
My recommendation is 1 liter Siporax per 30 liter tank water.

Last edited:

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
yeah forget the leds, will cause you trouble in a DIY version.

Siporax will work fine, just keep the water supply line to the cannister away from detritus.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Fill your canister with Siporax and watch your Nitrate and Phosphate drop.
You will need to start dosing Nitrate and Phosphate ( first world problems ehh )
My 10 liters Siporax could reduce 50 ppm Nitrate to 0 ppm overnight.
No need for modifications or toying around with leds, just good old fashion aquarium technology that’s been around for decades.
My recommendation is 1 liter Siporax per 30 liter tank water.
Seriously is it that effective. Wtf isn't it used in every tank.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
Ok so I read a discussion in here about siporax and matrix.

How many L would I need for a 250L tank.

Also does the matrix remove phosphates or just nitrates.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
It's effective if setup well. Can be expensive (although people are also now using garden scoria!).

It's almost too good to be true and takes time to establish - that's why people aren't using it more. Working out how much to use can also be tricky as if you have too much, you will need to dose nutrients back in.

Will tackle both nitrate and phosphate.

ryan1986

Sep 6, 2014
It's effective if setup well. Can be expensive (although people are also now using garden scoria!).

It's almost too good to be true and takes time to establish - that's why people aren't using it more. Working out how much to use can also be tricky as if you have too much, you will need to dose nutrients back in.

Will tackle both nitrate and phosphate.
Yer bunarong sell matrix for $30 per 1L so looking at a few hundred to set up which is crazy.

I will probably stuff a good canister filter but I am thinking cut 1 side out, put a clear panel in and do 3 strips of silicone and then buy a grow led globe and shine in. I have some macro algae already in my tank :( so only cost is some silicone, clear panel and grow globes.

And the canister is just sitting there anyway so why not make use of it.