Off-Topic

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Camera Help
I am buying a new camera in the next week and know very little about them. I am starting to research and am after your professional advice :)

The store I can get it through only supply Canon and Sony so Nikon is out of the question unfortunatly. Basically i am wanting to spend around $1500 and wonder am i better to buy the 60D in a twin lens kit or should I downgrade to a 600D and spend up on accessories?

Any advice? Should i even look at sony cameras?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
This is my quick reply ;)

Sony camera's are apparently pretty good but the after market stuff i.e. lenses etc are more expensive and harder to get.

For that money any camera will pretty much do a good job, so the main factor is how it feels in your hand - you really need to try them out.

I recently bought a 600D and I am very impressed.

What do you want to use it for??
Are you prepared to buy a 'grey' market item and save some $$'s

I will add more later.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Ye i have heard that Sony has improved a lot - but canon does have a good name and lots of accessories. As for the grey market - I would usually be very interested but i am getting this one from a mates shop very cheap already - and want to support him so price isnt too much of an issue.For extra lenses and accessories in the future i am very interested in the grey market - haha

As for what im using it for - just as a hobby. Shots of the tank - surfing - nature - whatever really - ill see where it takes me.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Here is a summary of the differences between the 600D and 60D -- with a price difference of around $200 on the body only you need to decide if the extra cost is worth it.

I just got the kit lenses which I think will be fine for what I need to use them for. But, I did buy a Tamron 90mm macro lens which is great for the tank, although it takes a bit of getting used to due to the very narrow depth of field.

I think you would be very happy with either camera.

Edit - the formatting of the comparison was terrible - have a look here http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

I have a sony.. they are great.. easy to use and easy to learn.. BUT.. accessories and lenses as MagicJ mentioned are a bugger to get a hold of.. there would be 3 times more stuff (and therefore better price range) available for canon etc than sony. Sony are great.. but they design themselves out of the mainstream market sometimes.. flash hotshoe is different to everyone elses.. lense mount and focus drives are different to every one else etc.. great camera.. but they need to make themselves more like the others.. stay away.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Thanks a lot for your help guys - I think im going to go the 60D - It feels like a better construction and takes almost double fps than the 600D which will be good as i like to take sport pics.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks a lot for your help guys - I think im going to go the 60D - It feels like a better construction and takes almost double fps than the 600D which will be good as i like to take sport pics.

As I said, I don't think you will be disappointed which ever way you go.

If you are looking at sports, nature etc you might want to talk to your mate about an appropriate lens as the kit lens may not provide enough reach - might cost a few $'s though;)