Reef Discussion

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Cade tanks too low?
Hi All (especially those of you with Cade tanks),

do you find that they are too low? I had a look at a few yesterday and they just seemed too low. I had to bend down to see them... I guess I could put the cabinet on-top of something else to raise it up, but I doubt I could make it as clean or as tidy as the Cade factory looks.

I understand that this makes it easy to setup and service your tank, but from a visual point of view - it didn't look as good as those that have a taller cabinet?

Also - do you find that your livestock jumps or escapes from the tank. There is literally no lip or anything keeping them in (or water for that matter!).

I was pretty sold on the presence and build quality of a CADE, but the height and the lack of any sort of guard turned me off them. Appreciate your thoughts.

Sam

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I found them a bit low, but I wanted my tank quite high so went custom. Downside is I need a step ladder to get into it lol.

Also not a rimless fan, much prefer bracing

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
for me i like the low tank so u can look over the coral and maintaining my tank is annoying owning a very high tank, but that mite be just me thinking the grass is greener on the other side. its really just personal choose i tend to look at mine sitting on my dinner table so i dont really mind how low it is. and with jumping if u pick fish that don't tend to jump u should be fine. really like @aussieant32 setup mite copy cat his 1 day probably 1 size bigger :P

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Why? I honestly can't imagine a single reason.
I have had 2 fish (that I have seen) fly up the corner of the tank, hit the bracing and drop back into the tank, main reason. Rimless they were on the carpet.

Other reason is I am lazy so when up the step ladder doing things in the brace becomes a shelf, instead of me going up and down all the time :p

Then I like that the weir cover comes up to the brace making it impossible for a fish to get over.

All I can think of for now

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Personally I really enjoy the height of the tank :) and I love the sleek look with everything and the way it's setup. Like @riley my tank is near the dinner table so it gives an awesome viewing angle when eating and having the tank that little bit lower means that you can get a really good view of everything at whatever height you want and maintenance is pretty straight forward :) In terms of jumping can't help you with that one right now but its as much a livestock choice as it is getting a custom made screen to cover the tank which is what I'm looking at doing because I'm thinking about getting a wrasse. The other thing is the hanging kits which are done really well (don't have one personally but I've seen them)

Which cade where you thinking about @Sam Parker?? And if you want a hand with it give me a shout! :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Cheers for the replies (even the comical ones!) guys.

@Wrangy I was looking at the HL1800 (the big one!) but the height and the openness was the main reason we looked at others. Plus, the doors on the cabinet (although incredible quality compared to anything else we saw) opened a really strange way. Not sure if they were meant to be push to open doors that had broken or what, but they were really awkward!

I did consider a screen, but then I think that would probably ruin the clean look (picky bastard aren't I!) The hanging kits I have seen were just for the lights? Have people made hoods from them?

Lastly, anyone have any pictures of what the 6ft Cade looks like with lights? I had heard you can get illumagic in a 6ft setup, but cant find any details on it?

Looks like I'll either need to go custom or a RSM 650. Either doesn't sound too bad :)

Thanks for the replies,
Sam

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Thanks for the picture. As much as I love the look of the Cade tanks, I just don't think it will do what I want it to do (also the wife was not a fan).

Looks like it will be custom build or a lazy approach with the Red Sea max :)
Sam

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
o man shouldn't look at pretty tanks at 1 point last night i told my self i was gonna go out and buy a 4-6 footer today. im thinking i need a new tank soon mines close to 10 years old but id go with a 2.5ft wide tank :P. @aussieant32 got a good point about light fittings 5-6 ft tanks are really hard to get a light fitting very limited on what you can get, most company only go up to 4ft or there a custom order. if u got t5's 80w light globes usually need to be ordered in. I've waited 4months for globes.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm not a CADE owner, but I find tank height depends on where you are going to have the tank. If it's in a lounge room or kitchen where you are going to be viewing it sitting a low tank is good, but if its in a walk way higher is better.

As for CADE, I like their tanks just find other aspects of their setup not very nice. Weird sump designs etc.

I love my euro brace I sit stuff on when doing maintenance, water test etc I dont have much bench space nearby, I also prefer the look of a euro over braceless but thats just a personal thing. My tank was built with 12mm glass so could have gone braceless if wanted

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yep, big is the plan, after seeing so many amazing large tanks and being restricted by livestock choice in smaller tanks - the step up is required!

I am leaning towards the rsm650 due to the type of hood it has, the height of the tank, e price (I actually think its not bad) and the fact if I move - its not built into the house. It does have restrictions (sump size/layout, led conversion is bit of a pain and the build isn't as nice as a Cade.) but once I started pricing up the 6ft Cade and equip - it was nearing $9k. That's a big step! But, if it had a type of hood and was about a foot and a half higher - I'd be sold :)

Sam

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
wouldn't imagine id cost 9k to setup isn't the the tank about $4000. $5000 to buy light, protein skimmer, return pump and circulating pumps seem a bit much then again im a stingy bastard.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Custom could be cheaper, but it could be a pain in the ass too if something doesn't go to plan. Plus I doubt I could get the finish I'd want with my limited experience. But I will be investigating this further over next couple of weeks to be sure.

$4k for tank, $2k on 6ft light, $1k on circulation pumps, $1k for skimmer and $1k for chiller and main pump. Added up quickly!
Sam