Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Buying overseas - is it worth the risk?
I am considering buying two Tunze 6105's.

I could get them from The Reef Shop for around $437 each, plus delivery. I have been quoted around $400 each from a local supplier. Or, I could buy them from Germany (Sewatec) for just under $300 each, delivered.

This would be a fairly major purchase for me and I am not sure that the potential savings compensate for the risks of buying overseas.

Obviously, any warranty claim would need to be handled through Germany but it would be no major issue as I have other pumps I could use in the meantime - I also have not heard of too many problems with these pumps.

One area of concern is the recent issue of the stated ouput of these pumps - Tunze are working on a mod which should be available later this year but I am not sure how that would work if I purchased them from Germany?

So many questions - anyone got any thoughts?

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
Do they come with power cords that suit our power sockets? or do you need to use a converter?

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
The Tunze supplied by Germany do require an adaptor, which is not really a deal breaker IMO.

I have seen locally supplied 1's that require them as well as 1's with an Australian plug.

As for the output, well the Tunze fanboi's will say it is irrelevant. I personally think it needs to be addressed and Tunze appear to be doing so.

If I was to buy new 1's, I would more than likely buy from OS if there was a big enough saving. Remember the freight is usually payable both ways by the consumer in most warranty claims and needs to be considered.

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
With freight payable both ways it might be worth looking at a few reviews to see how reliable they are.

I'm not sure what the quoted freight is but if it's a $100 - $137 saving and the pumps are reliable, I don't see an issue.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i stand on two sides on this

1- i like to see local fish stores supported by purchasing them through them. it helps keep the australian market going.

2- on the other hand i like to see a saving. and lets face it 200$ is a big saving.

it realy depends tho as overseas warranty is a pita if you ever have an issue, even quality units can still break:cry

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I agree with matt on all counts. We need to support LFS but they need to support us too. Massive markups on products dont help anyone in the long run.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
from what i have seen with some items they cant help it.
also in saying that shops have to pay for power, water, food, rent, they also have to account of fish dieing etc.
if they only made 5$ on selling a pump would it realy be worth it for them? i know i wouldnt!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
As for the output, well the Tunze fanboi's will say it is irrelevant. I personally think it needs to be addressed and Tunze appear to be doing so.
So rusty1 , am I better off waiting for a few months to see what develops? I was hoping that there might have been some discounting happening but havn't seen anything so far.

rusty1

Jul 21, 2011
Gold Coast QLD
I would wait if it was me, but I am just a tight arse and hate getting jibbed.

I think the wholesalers have the bigger margin in all of this too, not the LFS.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I would wait if it was me, but I am just a tight arse and hate getting jibbed.

I think the wholesalers have the bigger margin in all of this too, not the LFS.
I think I might sit on my hands for a while and see what transpires.
I guess the wholesalers need to make a buck as well - they are dealing with relatively low numbers in Australia which results in higher margins.

Find out cost of freight and wether they need converting on their voltage. Big converters and big plugs going everywhere is annoying. How much does newtown sell them for?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The price quoted above includes delivery from Germany. The German ones operate off 240v with no conversion - they use a different plug so you can use an adapter or change the plug (and breach the warranty!!)

Have not asked at Newtown but I know they will be more than I can get them for at a number of other places.