Reef Discussion

Beanie

Aug 17, 2013
Ballarat
Bully Clown
Hi Guys, I've recently put 3 Fire Goby in my tank with 2 Clows (1 large female and 1 small male) the female is being very aggressive and has already taken half a dorsal fin from the largest of the Gobys. anything i can do to stop the aggression?
should i be re-homing the large clown or trading her for a smaller one?

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Depending on the size of the tank, you could try taking the female out and putting her in another holding tank for a few days. Then rearrange your main tank and let the inhabitants settle. Then re-introduce the female. This may work, it may not, depending on how dominant and aggressive the female is.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the clown is doing what comes naturally, defending its territory. I would be reluctant to remove the resident fish. If your tank is large enough with sufficient hiding places, the gobies should be able to escape/hide until the clown's aggression subsides in a few days. However, if your tank is not large enough with sufficient hiding places, you may have to wither move on the clowns, or return the gobies. If you separate the clowns, the male is likely to become a female is a relatively short space of time!

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
^ What they said, I'm afraid.

I've heard of re-scaping sometimes helping in these situations (removes the clowns "territory" and forces them to establish a new one), but I've never tried myself. I think the general school of thought is to buy the clowns last.

Good luck!

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
Unfortunately, most people learn the hard way that Clown Fish aren't the cute little guys they saw on Finding Nemo (not saying you thought this @Beanie, just that that is what often happens) - they are aggressive little bastards and will often attack divers and their tank owners if they put their hands too near their home. There are people who love Clowns (I like them myself - they have a lot of personality) but there are others who loath them with a passion because of their behavior toward other tank inhabitants. Most members of the damsel species - even the most timid-seeming ones in the LFS - are aggressive once they feel at home and its a general rule of thumb for those who know: if you must have damsels, add them last.;)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Lol! Yeah those black clowns I picked up have a taste for my hands- leaving little chomp marks wherever they go lol. I love the little brats, though, so if I know I'm going to be in the tank for more than a minute, I'm netting them and keeping them in a confined part of the tank. They don't seem too bothered (gotta be less stressful than feeling stressed out over someone screwing with your home and wanting to kill them lol) but if they ever did. .. well... looks like my hands will have to suffer!! Lol

Beanie

Aug 17, 2013
Ballarat
Aggression seems to have subsided. :worship
the Gobys have taken refuge following the midnight angel around who isn't afraid to chase the clowns off
although the Gobys are still very skittish and aren't eating much at all (because they will flee as soon as the clowns come near)
Ive been sinking food for them so the clowns don't notice :p