Reef Discussion

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
BTA vs magnifica vs crispa
I have been told that BTA's wonder continuously and that manificas and crispa are very hard to keep

Any experience here with the three.....don't want to spend the money just to feed my Vortech

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I had a BTA for around 3 years and it did not move, although it did grow considerably. If you get the light, water flow and foothold correct it will be happy - sometimes it may take a while to find the ideal spot.

Having re-established my 4ft tank I am not proposing to get another anemone - under the right conditions they grow quite large which does restrict what else you can put in the tank.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I keep BTA. Mine never move. The trick is to settle them into an area where their food it located within a deep crevis. If they feel safe, get enough flow and enough light/food, they will not move.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ideally, you would put the anemone in first so it can find its spot and then introduce your corals where they will be out of the way of the anemone. But, anemone's should only be introduced into well established tanks.

That is the dilemma :confused:

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
They tend to move around killing everything that they touch. and most usualy end up in the pump. my 45cmx45cm rose bubbletip went through my vortech. not happy :confused:
never getting a nem again.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Water quality is the main issue. They are fairly delicate creatures and require a stable environment to thrive, something which is not normally present in a newly setup tank - I would suggest a minimum of 6 months and preferably 12 months before introducing an anemone.

Now some people report no problems with an anemone in a new tank. The question is: is the anemone thriving, just surviving or gradually declining?

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Thanks but have seen that site...it's great with a heap of information..and thanks for answers to my questions here :)

Tang

Jul 21, 2011
Sydney
If you get an anemone, eventually it will go through a pump. You need to take this into account. It may not be day 1, it may be years down the track.

Crispas are probably the easiest to keep of the lot and also the cheapest.

Magnificas are on the opposite end of that (Hard to keep and expensive).