Reef Discussion

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Lol Chris, it can't even stand on it's own leg so yep I bet it found my booze!

I would be hopeless at vodka dosing, 1 for me 1 for the tank, 1 for me 1 for the tank, 1 for me......bugger the tank I'll have the next one too.
Only one for you, geesh man... 2 for you, 1 for the the tha.... Oh shit...

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Well I lost the fight to keep the bta. I showed it to someone who keeps them and he said it looked fine then when I got home today it had detached and got entangled in the mesh of my powerhead. It had a thick lining on the inside but that hadn't stopped the nem from being tangled up in almost a whole side of the filter casing. I tried to get it out as there was a bit of life sign but it ws so enmeshed in the end I just got rid of the whole part of the filter and bta. I think the life signs were wishful thinking but I would have had to cut it loose and lost so much of it I doubt it would have made it, it already stank so much it was the best thing to do :(.
At least for the time being I'm giving up on having a nem tank.............now no clue as to what to keep in the tank but it will come to me!

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Well I lost the fight to keep the bta. I showed it to someone who keeps them and he said it looked fine then when I got home today it had detached and got entangled in the mesh of my powerhead. It had a thick lining on the inside but that hadn't stopped the nem from being tangled up in almost a whole side of the filter casing. I tried to get it out as there was a bit of life sign but it ws so enmeshed in the end I just got rid of the whole part of the filter and bta. I think the life signs were wishful thinking but I would have had to cut it loose and lost so much of it I doubt it would have made it, it already stank so much it was the best thing to do :(.
At least for the time being I'm giving up on having a nem tank.............now no clue as to what to keep in the tank but it will come to me!
Mate... Sad to hear.... We tend to get attached to these fish etc...

Another will appear at the LFS.... :)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Oh, no! :(
So sorry to hear it, Les :( You certainly tried your best for the little guy *nods* You can feel good about that at least.
Bek

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Tx ppls! I could get one today from someone but going to have a good think about it as I wouldn't like to have this one die on me either.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Tx ppls! I could get one today from someone but going to have a good think about it as I wouldn't like to have this one die on me either.
No fear, no fun.... Move the powerhead out of the way, or cover it with fly screen? You cant give up that easily. :(

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
It was already covered it has a plastic casing but inside is very thick padding like a green scourer, the bta managed to get wrapped around so much of the inlet area there ws no way to free it if it ws still alive :(.

This tank is still in the decision making stage really and wouldn't have been set up if I hadn't needed to close the nano down.

Another idea for it is to make it a seahorse tank, Bek (@TheJordans) gave me some great info and a site to check out about them and it is definitely do-able and something completely different. The 6 footer will be getting set up in a few months so ponies would be a cool think to keep in the 3 footer.

roamin

Nov 6, 2012
sorry hear, i have been keeping my eye on this thread.

its amazing how they are all different. i had an anemone given to me and didn't know anything about them. he too went for a walk and got stuck in my powerhead and chewed into 3 bits, once i got the 3 bits out i threw them back in the tank and they are going strong, they are now BIG too, all 3 are bigger than the original piece, also bought a orange tip bta and never had it move from where i placed it, dumped it on a rock in front of the mp40 power head and its never moved, only grown. all 4 nems never move. amazing how some wont sit still but others wont move at all.

defiantly get another one! you have too :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
yep, I have one that moves every day, 2 that have not moved from 10 minutes in the tank, even had to pull some rock down last night and it stayed attached while I put it back, in a different spot, still there!

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I won't be getting one for the 3 footer or the main tank but will see when I get the big one running. Bta + seahorses = expensive meal :(

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
So pleased to hear that the info was helpful :) I have every intention of replying to your PM!! Just haven't found the chance lol

I agree with your BTA decision if you're sold on the pony thing. I would die if I saw one of our ponies get stuck in a nem!!

Hopefully we can find you some ponies soon and see this tank running at its full glory once more :)

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Just to add to this I lost my first nem within a month and was reluctant to try again but I ended up with another, I'm a couple of months in and all is looking great, I wouldn't give up yet